Thread: Used truck info

Default Used truck info

I'm looking at buying a 98 GMC 1/2 ton ext 4x4. It is out of town so I'm not able to get a visual on it yet. Pics are coming monday. They sent me a copy of the build sheet and the tranny code is MT-1 TRA 4-SP ELECTRONIC AU. My question is can anyone out there tell me if this is a
    4L60E or 4L80E tranny. Thanks.

Dave
    93 2500 - best truck I ever owned
    Sold

98 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton 4X4 EC SB Dark Blue
    3"turbo down to 4" back.
    Remote PMD
    Was S then F code now SSD ECM (used - it was cheap - not my first choice)

Mt1 : Transmission, 4 Spd, Auto W/elect Controls H.d. (hydra-matic 4l80-e)
    1994 K1500 Silverado ext cab short box
    stock L56 6.5 TD, F intake, 4L80E, 3.73 gears
    10149599 block, D-Tech PMD on 5288 pump
    Goodyear Wrangler silent armour 265 75 R16 E Pro Grade
    Bushwacker fender flares
    410,000 km

Ok, so we got guys from Manitoba, Alberta, and BC posted on this thread.

With the tranny, I don't believe the 6.5 ever came backed with a 4l60-e. It was either the 4l80-e or the NV4500 5 speed.
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

That's one of the things I love about my Tahoe, It is a 1/2 ton truck with a 3/4-1 ton transmission.
    My 85 Blazer (I miss that truck) with the 700R4, I had the trans rebuilt about 4 times, althought I may have pushed its limits.
    William

97 Chevy Tahoe 2Dr 6.5 Kennedy Exhaust Pipes w/Homemade Resonator and Flowmaster Muffler, Turbo Tech intercooler and Kennedy/Westers computer
    01 Sunline 2363 Travel Trailer

Thanks for the info I feel much safer with the 4L80E.
    Cheers

Dave
    Sold

3"turbo down to 4" back.
    Remote PMD

O.K. Going to look at this truck on Sat. They sent me pics and it looks good. According to VIN this rig has an S code engine. I Know there is also an F code engine. My question - is the F code available in a 98 1/2 ton truck or is this S code the less HP version of the 6.5?
    Sold

3"turbo down to 4" back.
    Remote PMD

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBr View Post
    O.K. Going to look at this truck on Sat. They sent me pics and it looks good. According to VIN this rig has an S code engine. I Know there is also an F code engine. My question - is the F code available in a 98 1/2 ton truck or is this S code the less HP version of the 6.5?
    There were no F code engines for 1998 in 1/2 ton and LD 3/4 ton (7200 GVWR) trucks. All were S codes. The differences were fueling programs and emissions (and resultant HP ratings). Upgrading from an S to an F is easy, but may present issues with your local emission requirements.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

D-Max
    In both BC and Alberta there is no air control for diesels. We are able to modify the heck out of them and skip any air control or testing. Only place in Western Canada I know of that has Air Care is Vancouver, (go figure), and it's voluntary there as far as I know.
    Basically, going from an S to F code is changing or cutting out the intake system and opening up the exhaust?
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

Arrow

CA is similar, with respect to emissions requirements. Light truck Diesels are not tested. BUT, the law states emissions systems must remain as originally equipped, and tampering is unlawful. I suspect your laws are similar. However, they are modified all the time. It's easy with no one watching (yet). Heavy smokers (gross polluters) can be cited and required inspection (happens to Dodge owners all the time), but this mostly applies to commercial vehicles that fall into USDOT requirements.

There's more to an S to F conversion than that, but that's basically it. If you have EFI (DS-4), you can replace the PCM with an F, and the computer won't look for the components. An F code PCM will also have the higher fueling rates (more OEM power) built in. If you simply exchange/remove the emission components, an S PCM will miss them (SES lamp and DTC's) unless the electronics remain the same, or are otherwise accommodated.

I don't recommend "cutting out" the EGR or modifying the intake. If there ever comes a time your emission laws/inspections change, you may need it for a pass. If the laws change, the EGR intakes will suddenly become more valuable, and less available (because you won't be the only one needing it). I recommend replacement, and keep your S intake (and any other components you change) "just in case".

The exhaust it independent of all else. The PCM does not monitor exhaust system performance/condition in any way. I also recommend a complete exhaust system replacement, for the same reason as above. "Modification" may be simple, but "unmodification" isn't always so.

All this, of course, is recommended only for "testing" or "off-highway" use. It is unlawful to tamper/modify any emission system and operate the vehicle on public highways. (the fine print)
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I didn't think my truck had the EGR on it. Also, when I was getting it ready for Alberta inspection, I told them that I was running exhaust that exited in a 6" tip. That's where I heard last about the diesel exempt testing.

That being said, in BC, it is illegal to have to have the exhaust pipe larger after the muffler than before. This can be resolved by simply running straight, , or just not pissing off any cops that pull you over. They are definitely very lax in enforcing exhaust laws around here.

Thanks for the info. If I buy this rig It will definately not be stock for long. There is way to much unutilized power in these trucks just waiting for the chance to be unleashed. Alberta - no pollution standards. If there was they'd have to shut down the oil sands. Every muffler shop scrap metal bin in town is full of CC's.
    Sold

3"turbo down to 4" back.
    Remote PMD

Default S to F intake manifold

Will an intake manifold from a 93 6.5 truck fit this 98 truck I am about to purchase? If yes - what else will I have to modify?

Dave
    Sold

3"turbo down to 4" back.
    Remote PMD