Thread: P400 Turbo Diesel 4x4 Dually

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default P400 Turbo Diesel 4x4 Dually

I may or may not be your typical guy, who was looking for a good economical diesel truck to do some light towing and summer camping with.

I am 45 years old and have had my share of vehicles. I felt I had a reasonable amount of knowledge regarding the pro's/cons of Chev/Dodge/Ford... so I shopped the market for 3-4 months before making a decision.

I bought my first Chevy diesel truck late last year. It was a 1993 extended cab 6.5 TD 4x4 Dually. I bought it with known oil pressure issues...

She drove nice but needed another motor... I figured I would do some homework...ordered the TD Volumes I and II, and started reading.

The motor was pulled and ended up being cracked in 6 places, so I bought a budget 599 rebuild for $2,200 off craigslist. It arrived with a chunk missing out of the block around the starter bolts... I claimed warranty and got my money back.

Here is where I started my journey... I bought a "crack-free" block, certified by a machine shop near Dallas TX. Hot tanked, honed, and frost plugs installed... for $250. I paid $250 to get it to Washington State... it arrived and had 3 stress cracks in the main webs. I got $250 back but was out the freight.

I bought 2 more blocks... they both had cracks !!! I lost money on one of them.

The last block I purchased was OK's by my mechanic's machine shop and I committed a large sum of cash to build it. After the boring, decking, align-honing with a stud girdle, etc... I inspect it prior to assembly and saw a fatal crack in the second web!!! $1000 in machining instantly disappears into thin air... I had another $3000 committed to this in parts (rebuilding the heads, pistons, regrinding cam, crank, rods, etc...) Ouch!!

My mechanic buddy is having this block repaired using inserts which are machined into the fractures of the block. I'll share photos after it has been done. Apparently they have been repairing cracked blocks for years... without issues. If it works, I have 2 more to fix.

Long story short... I was ready to buy a brand new long block directly from Franklin Ohio for the tune of $6,090. I did this through a gentleman by the name of Rod Townsend and a company called WW Williams. Kennedy and Peninsular also offer this long block.

The powerplant is the redesigned 6.5 Optimizer and carries the casting number P400. It was installed after I engineered an oil pan to fit my rig. This engine was designed for Hummers which now carry payloads up to 15,000 lbs. It includes a forged crank and cast iron girdle for added strength.

In conclusion... I have spent a small fortune seeing this project through to completion... I do have a great truck, for 1/4 of what a new one costs.
    Oh... and my wife still loves me

Last edited by JetBoater; 05-10-2008 at 09:31. Reason: typo