Thread: Fuel Filter Change #16

Default Fuel Filter Change #16

It was time to change my fuel filter and I was 40 miles from the nearest dealer. Note the water sensor/drain. The little blue wire broke off during removal of the filter. Fortunately the nearest dealer had one in stock and a ranger with the COE was coming my way later the same day. He brought it to me and I was back in business. This little wire just snapped off from fatigue I suppose over 10 years in service and living through 16 filter changes or it almost lived through #16.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

We've been deleting those sensors for quite some time now. I don't know of anyone that has ever even caught ANY water in theirs let alone enough to set off the light.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

I've never found a drop of water in any of my filters, OEM, or in my FASS system. Always wondered if it might be because I treat every fill-up with an additive.
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

+1 on not bothering to fix the WIF sensor wire. Mine has never been connected (got the truck with 130K on it) and have never had any sign of water in the fuel anyway. If enough water DID get in to trigger the sensor, I'm guessing that the truck's performance would make it obvious.

+1 on fuel additive, every fill-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    We've been deleting those sensors for quite some time now. I don't know of anyone that has ever even caught ANY water in theirs let alone enough to set off the light.
    I have never found a drop of water in any of mine either, but I just hate to change anything.

Anyway, it has always had Baldwin filters in it John that I get from you and all is back to normal now.
    Ed
    KM4STL

Quote Originally Posted by DickWells View Post
    I've never found a drop of water in any of my filters, OEM, or in my FASS system. Always wondered if it might be because I treat every fill-up with an additive.
    I have wondered the same thing myself Dick. FPPF in every tank since new. It isn't that expensive and if it does help....so much the better. I feel better and that makes it worth it to me.
    Ed
    KM4STL

I've also newer seen any water when changing the filter.. Probably the only time the WIF sensor would trip is with a bad load of fuel. Several years ago after reading some folks were having problems with the sensor wire breaking I added a strain relief with some epoxy - the type that comes in a stick.
    Bill
    03 2500HD D/A CC/SB/4WD,OilGuard, MegaFilter,LiftPump/PreFilter, Bilsteins,RetraxRollTop,J&J Boards,Coolant Filter,AlliDeepPan,FastIdle,AllHeadLightsOn,
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jbplock View Post
    I've also newer seen any water when changing the filter.. Probably the only time the WIF sensor would trip is with a bad load of fuel. Several years ago after reading some folks were having problems with the sensor wire breaking I added a strain relief with some epoxy - the type that comes in a stick.
    I will do the same thing at my next filter change. I would have done it this time, but I needed the truck "right now" after getting the new sensor.
    Ed
    KM4STL

14 years of changing filters and I have not drained a drop of water either. I don't use small out of the way, I wonder if anyone knows this fuel place is way back here type of stations. That probably helps. Fuel quality is soo much better now than it used to be from east coast to west coast anyway. Canada is good, and I don't venture into Mexico at all anymore.
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.