Thread: 700r4 shift point trouble

Default 700r4 shift point trouble

Just finished a rebuilt 700R4 install on the '86. Driven it probably 100 miles. Will shift at the normal mph's most of the time but at times, the shift points will raise to higher mph under normal acceleration. Seems like a heavy accelerator will fix the problem. At one point, as I was slowing down, the trans was downshifting but would not upshift at all. Slowed to where it was in 1st and would not upshift until I floored it to get to upshift and then it started shifting normal again.

Trans shop didn't have much advice other than drive it and see if it would work itself out...suspected maybe trash in the system.

I'm thinking random sticking governor?? TV system?? It was properly adjusted....slide case back to firewall, WOT to set. Should I pull the governor for visual inspection?

Any other thoughts?
    Mark Chapman DP member #653;
    1983 K2500 6.2 Suburban, 4" lift, 35" tires, ATS turbo, Banks exhaust/intake, pyrometer, tachometer;
    1986 K5 6.2 Blazer, 2" lift, 33" tires, Banks intake, pyrometer, tachometer
    1963 wife, one owner, average mileage for the age but in excellent shape, a keeper
    1992 daughter, low mileage, pretty, limited edition, but requires some money to maintain
    1995 son, sports model, very fast & peppy, time will tell on durability and maintenance costs

"Grease is good"

Remove the governor and see wassup.

There should be a little screen in the governor feed.

Easy to pull the governor out and check the thing to make sure there is no trash in it.

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Will pull it off tonight and let ya'll know.
    Mark Chapman DP member #653;
    1983 K2500 6.2 Suburban, 4" lift, 35" tires, ATS turbo, Banks exhaust/intake, pyrometer, tachometer;
    1986 K5 6.2 Blazer, 2" lift, 33" tires, Banks intake, pyrometer, tachometer
    1963 wife, one owner, average mileage for the age but in excellent shape, a keeper
    1992 daughter, low mileage, pretty, limited edition, but requires some money to maintain
    1995 son, sports model, very fast & peppy, time will tell on durability and maintenance costs

"Grease is good"

Pulled the governor and did not see anything out of the ordinary. But I did read on the web that the diesel governor should not have the holes in the weight....they should be solid (and heavier). I did not pull the governor prior to sending to trans rebuilder so I really can't be sure they put the same one back in. Could be a gas governor. I realize this would not give me random shift points...at least I don't think it would. Will drive more and see what happens.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Drove it more over the weekend and the think settled down with consistent shift points and at lower rpm's. I'm a happy person now.

Transmission needed time to break in??? Or time to clear itself of rebuilder's trash??

Whew.....