Thread: Alaska Plow Truck

Default Alaska Plow Truck

'94 Chevy 6.5L-TD, 1 ton 4x4 Dually. Heath Diesel Max E Torque, HD water pump/fan. Boost, transmission temp, EGT gauges, and a ISSOPro ALTERNATOR tach from Kennedy Diesel that no one seems to know how to hook to the alternator stator, (including me & Don at ISSOPRO and John at Kennedy Diesel and several other techs). Does anybody out there know where to wire into the alternator to pick up the pulse for the tach? (see photo). It also has a #9 resistor(?) which I don't think is recognized by the computer yet, and new Bosch injectors and 6 new glow plugs. I still have two to install if/when I have the right side of the engine clear enough to access them.

I've owned this truck under a year, it had 131,000 mi. when I bought it with a 8.5' Western snow plow, 133,500 now. It tends to overheat the tranny when towing a 7K trailer load, I've changed the fluid and added an aftermarket cooler in front of the radiator...still wants to run hot, even with the new composite 9 blade fan. I suspect that the fan does not run at full speed when crusing or sitting at a stop light, however, when moderate towing with some speed, it will lower the temp range to 180-190 deg. Really don't want to purchase the louvered high capacity pan, but may have too. Can't believe that GM let a 1 ton work truck out the door without a HD transmission cooler and a better engine cooling system.

A friend who builds aluminum trailers has a 6.5TD computer program; had him check the timing and each cylinder etc...engine appears to be in good shape. Blowby bothers me, even after running the recommended test of the CDR(?)...it's the canister that I call the crankcase emission valve...test was ok. Removed the canister anyway and cleaned it with gas, didn't help a whole lot. Lots of minor stuff that keeps popping up out of the clear blue. Never had a problem, until I started trying to get more power to tow my enclosed snowmachine trailer. This engine/tranny combo simply does not like to tow! It's a great plow truck though.

The truck is a bare bones, no bells or whistles model with an automatic transmission, (I don't know how to tell the model), and also what seems to be a fairly moderate to low speed rear end. There is no tab on the casing to identify what the ratio is...does anybody know another way to tell?

Anyway, that's my truck, for what ever it's worth, actually, I've put more than 3K into it since I bought it! Way more than I should have...really am disappointed with it so far. It should perform much better than it does.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fredg41; 09-12-2010 at 22:41. Reason: spell and spacing