Thread: Solar Installation

Default Solar Installation

Hi,

I recently completed installation of 300 watts of solar, a Bogart monitor/charge controller, two T-105 Trojan batteries, and a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter on my fiver.

Tried it out for two weeks on a partially shaded site on the shore of Lake Superior, and it worked exceptionally well. Our plan is to go to Quartszite, AZ this winter, where the new system will get a solid couple of months of boondocking.

Anyone else running solar and have tips or advice to share?
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71
    Cedar Creek Silverback 33RL Fifth Wheel
    In The Past: '82 6.2 Jimmy Blazer, '93 6.5 GMC K-2500, '01 DMAX K-2500, '09 DMAX K-2500

Hi, Rich. I don't run solar in my own trailer, but our son just put a 300 W system on his 4 horse/camper trailer, and he's loving it. The front of the trailer, under the tongue, is beginning to look like the cockpit of a 747 with all the access covers removed! Still, it's a great looking installation. We're baby-sitting the kid's clients, while he and our DIL and two boys are out in N C NY at a horse camp, giving the new system a workout. Roughing it, complete with plenty of power to have all the TV they want.
    Bet you'll really enjoy your new setup at Quartszite.
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

I always use my 2 solar panels remotely in the sun by using a 100 ft house hold extension cord. That way I could park in 100 % shade and have my solar panels in the sun.
    Found no difference in the charging rate than if I had them close coupled.
    Operated that way for over 10 yrs.