Thread: Why should I buy a Duramax?

How many of you guys have had problems with the engine or truck and would buy another GMC or Chevy? I drive a 04 5.4 gas Ford and the fuel milegae sucks.I probably get below 15 on the hwy and less around town.So,obviously,I'd like to get better fuel mileage.

The Dmax seems to getting the best fuel mileage. I've heard of 2 wheel drive Cummins getting over 22 mpg, but not on the newer models. The Pstroke is not getting the same mileage as the Dmax from what I hear.

Cool

I'm very close to two d-max trucks one with 124k and one with only about 30k. Problems have been fairly rare. Both are looking at buying new ones and one is a former ps owner and said he will never go back. For milage and longevity you can't beet a cummins. BUT it is a 600k engine in a 60k truck with no tranny that will hold up so no where to go but Chevy. Of the 3 6.0 flowerpoke owners I know no one is getting above 15 empty on the highway. When they're not in the shop that is. All that being said its hard to get to 20 or above without a six speed manuel. Of course '06 and up have a 6 speed allison milage should improve but no one has gotten there hands on one yet to see how much. You also didn't say if you were interested in 2wd or 4wd. That makes roughly a 2mpg difference.

Marty Lau Guest

The best MPG I have seen anyone get on there DuraBux is a guy who had a straight cab 2500 with 6 speed manual. The lightest truck you can get with the most efficient power train. The Allisons are tough awsome trannies but they take up a lot of power (fuel) to run and your MPG's would suffer. If money was no object and was shooting for the best mpg's from a pickup and towing was not much of a consideration I would order a new DuraBux with 6 speed manual staight cab or short box extended cab 2500 two wheel drive and order it with 3.73 ratio. Then I would have the clutch changed out to one of the after market HD ones after warntee is out. I also would change ratio to 3.42 or 3.25~ if I could get one.

why you should...... No Why Not..... Find a better truck...there are none
    gary

I won't buy another one. This one should take me to the grave. They are hard to justify unless 1. you need it for towing 2. you plan on keeping it for alot of years 3. you take the accelerated depreciation off your taxes. I think any of two of those criteria will get you there. I come under 2 and 3. Plus they are AWESOME.
    2005 GMC Sierra CC D/A<br />Duckhunter<br />See you in Glendon, NC<br />Go Heels!

I have 110,000 miles on my 2001. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat, but this one is paid for and running strong. My fifth wheel weighs just under 14,000 and I never have had an issue pulling it, great truck!
    2001 XCab LB 4WD D/A, Linex, <br />Roadmaster suspension, Hella horns, <br />ARE cap, Hayes running boards, Fumoto Valve

markrinker Guest

I agree with Glendonboy's 'three good reasons' above. For contractors, hotshot haulers, etc. this truck is a money maker. For well heeled hobbiests pulling race trailers, horse trailers, 5th wheel campers, etc. its the most economical, potent truck to get them from point A to point B.

It is hands down the best towing light duty truck I have ever driven, but without all three reasons listed above, I'd be driving a 6.0 gasser if I were commuting and pulling the boat on the weekend.

[ 08-24-2005, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

The 6.0 gasser averaged 12.7 MPG last weekend without the boat and it gets somewhere between 8-9 MPG pulling it. While the 6.0L gets it done as far as the boat is concerned, but I am in the process of buying a 37' 5'th wheel... so it looks like I will be getting a new HD soon. Anyone care to guess which engine the new HD is going to have?

Heartbeat Hauler Guest

Originally posted by glendonboy:
    I won't buy another one. This one should take me to the grave. They are hard to justify unless 1. you need it for towing 2. you plan on keeping it for alot of years 3. you take the accelerated depreciation off your taxes. I think any of two of those criteria will get you there. I come under 2 and 3. Plus they are AWESOME.
    Ditto for me, but I would've liked having the extra gear in the Allison for better mileage around town and highway.
    JP

I'm impressed enough that I'd recommend this truck/drivetrain to friends and family. I don't plan on buying another for a long while. It's a brute of a truck in a great looking package and at 142,000 miles is as solid as new. The wear bits, brakes, tires, ball joints, exhaust have been replaced...it's gravy from here. Back to gas truck? No way no how.

Kennedy Guest

It's a lot of money to spend to potentially save a few hundred bucks a year on fuel...

Don't get me wrong, I love mine, but there's a lot of 1/2 ton gasser guys coming over and complaining about how firm a real truck rides.

If I were looking for somthing with decent economy, I'd be looking at a car with the 3800 V6. Not as good on fuel as some, but they run and run and are low maintenance...