Thread: 2005 year built 6.5 CRACKED BLOCK questions

Angry 2005 year built 6.5 CRACKED BLOCK questions

I bought a NEW 6.5l form international diesel engines out of brooklyn New York in july 2005. I have a little over 20,000 miles on it and devistation stuck the other day. I was driving it down the road and I lost all of my heat. I shut it down to check the coolant level and it was low. I filled it with water to find the leak, I did not see any running out of the engine so I checked the oil level. Boy it was FULL! I pulled the pan last night to find the problem and This DAM NEW ENGINE main webs cracked on #2 & #3 main webs! Why would the latest and greatest block fail already? Engine showed no signs of FAILURE or Problems at ALL! Still ran good before pulling the pan. Now I have nothing, were do I get a NEW BLOCK to FIX MYengine.

Arrow

Welcome to the Forums!

Sorry to hear of your engine's demise. I haven't heard of any common issues with the new Navistar cast blocks, so I think you are dealing with a unique problem....maybe. Did you confirm you actually received a new block? The new castings will have the International/Navistar logo on the casting, as well as a foundry and date code. There are only a few outlets selling authentic new blocks, but there are a lot of 6.5L re-manufacturers that will surely tell what you want to hear. And, there are more and more "new" castings out there that are knock-offs of questionable origin. With the failure you describe, I would certainly question the authenticity of that block. At the same time, if it is authentic, failures do happen, even among the highest quality of any product. Verify you do actually have a new International/Navistar block first. If it is, then the distributor will be very interested in your failure. If they don't seem interested, consider the possibility you didn't receive what you thought you did. Post (or email/PM to me) the information of the company you sourced the engine, and I'll find out if they are an authorized distributor of the new block. I'm not familiar with "International Diesel Engines in Brooklyn", but that doesn't mean they aren't selling authentic new castings. A brief internet search using the info you posted did show a couple sources, but none with new 6.5 castings.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by klink k5 View Post
    I bought a NEW 6.5l form international diesel engines out of brooklyn New York in july 2005. I have a little over 20,000 miles on it and devistation stuck the other day. I was driving it down the road and I lost all of my heat. I shut it down to check the coolant level and it was low. I filled it with water to find the leak, I did not see any running out of the engine so I checked the oil level. Boy it was FULL! I pulled the pan last night to find the problem and This DAM NEW ENGINE main webs cracked on #2 & #3 main webs! Why would the latest and greatest block fail already? Engine showed no signs of FAILURE or Problems at ALL! Still ran good before pulling the pan. Now I have nothing, were do I get a NEW BLOCK to FIX MYengine.
    The engine you bought in 2005 was not likely one cast since November 2001 by the Navistar Casting Corp in Indiana. The company you mentioned (if I remember correctly) was involved in buying a large quantity of engines from GM (warranty returns, manufacturing defects, overruns, ect.).

Get the 4-digit casting date on the bellhousing flange. That'll help you identify whether you got a "new" engine or one build way back when...

Jim

i don't want to add more bad news, but I have not heard a single good thing about those folks. I talked with them but when I started looking around they didn't have a good rep. they have changed names three for four times in the last several years, which is a good sign they are shady.

Quote Originally Posted by micky_blue View Post
    i don't want to add more bad news, but I have not heard a single good thing about those folks. I talked with them but when I started looking around they didn't have a good rep. they have changed names three for four times in the last several years, which is a good sign they are shady.

Pretty common issue, and as micky stated...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Ok, I pulled the motor out, numbers as follows on the Block: Cast in block 12555506, Scribed with a electric pencil: GPC1264, Cast into block(date code): 0317L. The engine showed NO signs of failure as previously stated, But I have nothing to work with now, very dissapointed in the life of this engine. What to do? Also found a navistar logo cast into the block below the injection pump would be. I bought this engine cause I was TOLD that was the latest and greatest engine out there. All of the problems of the older 6.5 engines were supposed to be eliminated with this design. Can anyone verify this engine (BLOCK) to be ligit? Anyone else have this problem with a GEP engine yet?

Boy ive got a knot in my stomach reading this. I have not even heard a rumor of any failures with the gep engines. The fact that amg does not sell bare blocks makes me believe this is not an amg product, but would anyone dare sell a knockoff block in this country with somebody elses copyrighted logo on it?
    95 K2500 6 lug ecsb leather silverado, 2006 amg 18:1, kennedy exhaust, no cat, heath 2.0, heath boost control, ss diesel air filter, ata intercooler, high idle, bf goodrich 285/75/16 all terrains, remote pmd, three guage pillar pod

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by TAG View Post
    ......but would anyone dare sell a knockoff block in this country with somebody elses copyrighted logo on it?

They do it with just about everything else. Why wouldn't they do it with engine blocks? By the time they get caught and shut down, they've already made bank. And, due to the "country of origin", are essentially untouchable.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by TAG View Post
    The fact that amg does not sell bare blocks makes me believe this is not an amg product, but would anyone dare sell a knockoff block in this country with somebody elses copyrighted logo on it?
    Might want to take a look at post #55 in this thread:
    http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...t=27046&page=6
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Ok, I pulled the motor out, numbers as follows on the Block: Cast in block 12555506, Scribed with a electric pencil: GPC1264, Cast into block(date code): 0317L. The engine showed NO signs of failure as previously stated, But I have nothing to work with now, very dissapointed in the life of this engine. What to do? Also found a navistar logo cast into the block below the injection pump would be. I bought this engine cause I was TOLD that was the latest and greatest engine out there. All of the problems of the older 6.5 engines were supposed to be eliminated with this design. Can anyone verify this engine (BLOCK) to be ligit? Anyone else have this problem with a GEP engine yet?
    The legitimacy of the Company supplying the engines is the first and biggest question. I don't think this or any other instance related to the Supplier in question should reflect one bit on AMG/GEP and their products. There are just too many cases of questions and lies involved...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.

Default block

instead of dealing with the shady characters I would take the block and you paper work (purchase price,date,miles) to a authorized international dealer... any of the dealers will help with warranty work... it would be like driving your truck to a different dealer not the one you bought it from... know what I mean

Ok I am trying to figure out if I bought a NEW 6.5l Diesel long block (with all tin work) engine that was AMG/GEP built. I am not trying to knock anyones products, but I was told I was buying a AMG/GEP built engine and that same engine now has cracked main galley bolt holes. So if I do have a amg/gep engine why is my block broke? Is it ligit with the numbers I previously posted in my previous thread? Hell, no body wants to stand behind it, (International Diesel, GEP) they want me to lay down another 6000.00 for another engine. Nobody cares about their products, why should I buy anothe 6.5 if this is the crap that is going to happen again. Before you judge this post, the NEW engine was also installes with a new GM radiator, GM hoses, GM thermostat, new Bosch injectors, new injection pump rebuilt by a reliable shop, and new glow plugs. Also installed a new GM oil cooler and lines, GM fan clutch and GM 10 blade plastic fan to boot on top of it all. I spent the money and replaced all of these coponents to eliminate problems with a 1400,000 mile pickup. The truck was NEVER WORKED HARD, never OVERHEATED, NEVER USED A DROP of oil, overall, I was very pleased with my truck untill out of the blue, (20,XXX later) the engine turned to junk. Now this is all true, im not here to waste time, just trying to state facts and trying to get some good info on my engine. Thanks

Is it ligit with the numbers I previously posted in my previous thread?

It appears as though nobody knows, you would have heard by now.

See post #62 on this thread though, this fellow seemed to have no problem communicating with GEP, without numbers of any sort...if you haven't already...

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=27046

Seems as though you are getting a rough deal though.
    1994 K1500 Silverado ext cab short box
    stock L56 6.5 TD, F intake, 4L80E, 3.73 gears
    10149599 block, D-Tech PMD on 5288 pump
    Goodyear Wrangler silent armour 265 75 R16 E Pro Grade
    Bushwacker fender flares
    410,000 km

Unless I misundertand the Julian date (I think they changed) your engine block was built Dec 17 2003.

The first thing to check is if International is an authorized GEP/AMG dealer. I doubt it. GEP is VERY tough to get an account with. I speak from experience...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

I have to admit I tracked the guys at GEP down and asked them some questions about buying a block from them. I didn't think it would work but figured it was worth a try. Anyway they told me they were not allowed to sell me a block but would send me to a distributor who had parts, and they sent me to international. (which i think has again changed their name to Max Power or More Power or something like that). I looked around about international diesel and saw several people saying that they were ripped off. Having the wrong stuff sent, having huge problems with engines, so i chose to not deal with them.

the only time I recall hearing someone happy with their service after their original engine blew, they went to new york and picked it up personally.

micky