Thread: LB7 engine dies after cold startup

Default LB7 engine dies after cold startup

Have had all updates on Edge. When I start up in the morning it dies in say, 30 seconds, and won't start for 3 to 5 minutes and works fine after that. I have not tried unplugging edge to see if that is the cause. Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
    2001 Dura-max LB7---Edge Juice with Attitude---Aux. fuel filter---4" turbo-back exhaust--- scan-guage II

Anybody got a clue as to what is going on here? In my effort to figure this out I have unhooked both the edge and the scan gauge II The same thing happens. It dies a few seconds after startup and seems like it lost it's fuel prime. I pumped up the pressure with primer on filter housing and then it started. No obvious leak in the fuel system that I can see.
    2001 Dura-max LB7---Edge Juice with Attitude---Aux. fuel filter---4" turbo-back exhaust--- scan-guage II

Arrow

Unless you've installed an aftermarket fuel lift pump, you won't usually "see" a leak. They system is suction all the way to the HP pump on the engine. If you've recently replaced the fuel filter, it's the likely suspect (still, if it's been on there a while). Try R/R it and ensure both O-rings are sealing well. Also, use some grease (dielectric "tune up" grease works well) or heavy lube on them to help them seat. Check your water drain valve and the WIF sensor module (thing at the bottom of the filter) closely for cracks or damage. A bad fuel filler cap can exaggerate an air leak, and they're cheap. If you replace it, be sure to get a "Diesel fuel only" cap, not a gasser cap (they vent differently).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Hi, my LB7 was hard to start and had a rough idle, then i saw that there was a wet spot of fresh diesel around the drain valve on the right side of the alternator, there's a schrader valve inside that was not sealing compleatly, and this line (and any other fuel line on the feed-side) is a suction line and it was drawing air through the drain valve. it's worth a check.

Edit: sorry DmaxMaverick that i didn't saw that you already had mentioned the valve in your reply.. i was a bit too fast..

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Duraswede View Post
    Hi, my LB7 was hard to start and had a rough idle, then i saw that there was a wet spot of fresh diesel around the drain valve on the right side of the alternator, there's a schrader valve inside that was not sealing compleatly, and this line (and any other fuel line on the feed-side) is a suction line and it was drawing air through the drain valve. it's worth a check.

Edit: sorry DmaxMaverick that i didn't saw that you already had mentioned the valve in your reply.. i was a bit too fast..
    Different valve, but good advice just the same. The cap on the schrader valve should prevent a low pressure/vac leak. However, it could leak just the same.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Different valve, but good advice just the same. The cap on the schrader valve should prevent a low pressure/vac leak. However, it could leak just the same.
    my cap havn't any seal in it (like the ones on the AC-valves)
    so i found an O-ring that fitted perfectly.

Arrow

The cap should have a cone shape inside the end (deepest part) of it. The cone should plug the valve hole. Very similar to an A/C valve cap. It isn't rocket science, so if the O-ring works, just as well.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Default Oil Pressure Problems

I have a '03 4x4 lb7, the other day on the way home about a 1/4 mile the information center went nuts stating low oil pressure or low oil I am not sure which. I looked at the oil gauge and it was on 0. I reved it up and it did not move. I drove it on to the house. I call gmc for them to come and get it. I went and cranked it and the hand came off of 0 and jerked around up and down. I reved it up and the same it jerk up and down. The dealer says they cannot duplicate the problem, I picked it up today and I cranked it and it was twiching a little and showed it to the Service writer. He say unles it was constant they could not do nothing with it. I has warranty. 6.6L. I am going to change the oil and filter even it not due. It is full of oil btw, black but full. It don't float around like gas guages do sometimes it jerks/twiches but has not went back to 0 and sat there.
    Can someone tell me where it is at and if there is any way to check it.
    Sincerely
    Chris

Default A/C Operations

I have the climate control unit on my lb7. I want to run it on inside a/c air reculation all the time because I have bad alergies to especilly gas and diesel fumes as well as life. I found the wire that open and close the door. and with the door open I cut the wire. Will the door stay open or is there a spring on it that will eventually pull it shut/open?

Wow, a double hijacking!
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510