Thread: Do it or leave it be dual filtration and or lift pump

Default Do it or leave it be dual filtration and or lift pump

I know this topic has probably been beat to death but I have

been debating for awhile on whether to install dual filtration on my 01 duramax and possibly a lift pump or just leaving It alone. I just invested good amount of money into replacing injectors and want to protect my investment since I plan on keeping the truck for awhile.

Adding a second fuel filter has too restrict fuel flow somewhat and I would think this might shorten the life of the fuel pump. Maybe a lift pump might solve any issue with fuel restriction maybe it's not something to worry about.

The mechanic who installed my injectors said I would get better filtration without a lift pump because fuel is being pulled rather than pushed through the filter, but that I may get some more life out of the fuel pump.

Any good info would be appreciated

Unless the fuel source is more than 30 feet or so below the pump, fuel IS being pushed through the fuel filter by atmospheric pressure. What a low pressure fuel pump WILL do is show leaks in the fuel lines up river of the high pressure fuel pump.

Some would say you'd be better off installing a better water separator than the OEM system provides, especially if you live in a humid/rainy area and that water is what kills injectors. Of course, this is about as provable as any other school of thought.

A high quality fuel supplement/lubricant, added to every tank of fuel, wouldn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by silver89 View Post
    I know this topic has probably been beat to death but I have

been debating for awhile on whether to install dual filtration on my 01 duramax and possibly a lift pump or just leaving It alone. I just invested good amount of money into replacing injectors and want to protect my investment since I plan on keeping the truck for awhile.

Adding a second fuel filter has too restrict fuel flow somewhat and I would think this might shorten the life of the fuel pump. Maybe a lift pump might solve any issue with fuel restriction maybe it's not something to worry about.

The mechanic who installed my injectors said I would get better filtration without a lift pump because fuel is being pulled rather than pushed through the filter, but that I may get some more life out of the fuel pump.

Any good info would be appreciated
    Protect your investment. Here is a Tech Tip that I wrote regarding the Duaramax Lift pump that should help.

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Du...ift%20pump.pdf

And another: http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Du...ift%20pump.pdf
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!