Thread: 97 F350 7.3 into 93 F350 7.3

Default 97 F350 7.3 into 93 F350 7.3

I'm looking to get a 93 F350 with the 7.3 idi. It has a hole in the block. I found a powerstroke 7.3 in a 97. Will it swap out? I'm not looking to do any other swap. The powerstroke is cheap is why I'm going for it.

Will it swap? Yes, but the Powerstroke is completely computer-controlled, and shares absolutely nothing with the IDI. They're the same displacement, and that's about it. You'll have to swap over all the electronics, ECM, throttle pedal, etc.

I would pass and look for another 7.3L IDI. The Powerstroke engine may be cheap, but will cost a lot more in the long run trying to get it functioning in your IDI chassis.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

Will it "fit"? Simply, yes. Cheap? No, but that's relative to how you do it. Although they share the same displacement, they are very different powertrains. You'll not only swap the engine, you'll also need to include the entire wire harness, computer (HEUI fuel injection), tranny, oil cooler, related intake/exhaust plumbing, oil cooling (critical!), and intercooler. There will be other considerations if you go north of 235 HP. If it's auto, the 93 E4OD tranny won't hold up behind the Powerstroke (it was marginal behind the IDI turbo). If it's manual, you'll want the ZF6 or NVxxxx, as well as the NV263HD/273 transfer case (if 4x4) behind the PS. Also consider a complete refresh of the remaining drivetrain (U-joints, transfer case, axle(s) service, etc.). A 30-50% power increase will take a toll on the under-rated 93 chassis.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com