Thread: replaced batteries now engine cranks but doesn't fire

Default replaced batteries now engine cranks but doesn't fire

I replace my batteries because they would not start the engine and would not take a charge. Now the engine cranks over like new but won't start. I know there are several threads on this but I can't seem to find them. I would appreciate if anyone could supply links to the existing threads. My truck is an 02 2500HD with the 6.6 duramax. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    02 Ext Cab short bed D/A - stock

Arrow

Just for the heck of it, pump up the filter primer and give it a try. If that does nothing......

The previous no-start cranking episodes may have confused the computer. Try cycling the key slowly a dozen or so times (no crank). If that doesn't work, disconnect BOTH Batt+ terminals and ground one of them for 20-30 minutes. This will reset the computer to default (and clear any codes). That should work, but if it doesn't, it probably has an issue with the security system, and may need a Tech II for a reset.

The next time you replace both batteries, replace only one at a time (weakest first, if you know which), or use a jump battery to keep the system powered. Even one of those cigar lighter battery thingies (Harbor Freight?) is enough juice to keep the computer happy during the replacement (this works on earlier models, but some later models have key switched power outlets).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Sometimes the VATS gets tripped up and sometimes it seems the ECM's can get confused/corrupted somehow. The Delphi units in the LB7 and LLY can be pretty fragile.

Like Mav said start with the hand pump to be sure it isn't just a loss of prime.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Thanks Guys,
    I did the fuel pump thing so I don't think its fuel. Tried the key on and off with no luck. I am in the process of resetting by grounding one of the POS battery cables. Will let you know how it works out

Be sure that both negatives are removed from the batteries.

You could try a manual theft deterrent learn.

Attempt to start-no start leave key in run position a full 10 minutes.

Turn key off 30 seconds

Repeat 3 times.

If that does not work you could send me the ECM and I can see what I can figure out, but in some cases they are toast.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    Be sure that both negatives are removed from the batteries......
    If both positive cables are removed from the batteries, the ground cables don't have to be removed (2 cables removed, and no additional equipment/tools required). The objective it to ground the Batt+ cable without shorting the batteries. I suggest removing both + cables because it's just more simple. If the ground cables are removed, you'll either have to remove a Batt+ cable to ground it (3 cables removed), or use a jumper from ground to a Batt+ cable (requires an additional grounding device or cable).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I'm old school in that both negatives get removed first. I've just seen a lot of ECM's smoked due to improper handling of cables and arcing out.

I'll hot swap an ECM no problem, but both negatives come off to do anything major.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

I always remove the passenger side battery to replace the fuel filter (easier for me than working around the tire), but I always have a strip of electrical tape already torn off to tape up the terminal end while working.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

Ok so I removed the pos+ battery cables from the battery and left the Neg- ends attached. Grounded 1 pos cable to ground using a jumper cable. Waited 30 min and then reconnected everything. Still won't start. Had it towed to the dealer. Turns out the system would not recognize the key so anti-theft prevented starting. They reset and relearned and now all is running like normal. The only issue left is my remote start fob won't lock the doors. It does everything else, start, unlock but no lock. Dealer says I need to go back to the company that installed the remote. Guess I will be headed there next.

Anyway thanks for all the ideas and quick responses.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tomking View Post
    Had it towed to the dealer. Turns out the system would not recognize the key so anti-theft prevented starting. They reset and relearned and now all is running like normal. The only issue left is my remote start fob won't lock the doors. It does everything else, start, unlock but no lock. Dealer says I need to go back to the company that installed the remote. Guess I will be headed there next.

Anyway thanks for all the ideas and quick responses.
    Tom
    That is what the free procedure that I outlined does:

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    You could try a manual theft deterrent learn.

Attempt to start-no start leave key in run position a full 10 minutes.

Turn key off 30 seconds

Repeat 3 times.

If that does not work you could send me the ECM and I can see what I can figure out, but in some cases they are toast.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner