Thread: Electric cooling fans reliability

Default Electric cooling fans reliability

I have read where the newer DMax trucks (and many of the gasses) are now coming with electric cooling fans. For those of you who tow, have the electric fans been able to keep up with the cooling tasks?
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

They are not electric. They are visco-electric. This allows the ECM to activate the clutch when needed. There may be some benefit to this on older models, but you would have to build a control of some sort assuming it would fit.

Reliability has been decent from what I have seen. I saw one that went bad, but that is about it.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Ahh, maybe it is just the gassers that are full electric. We have had the debate for so long on whether electric fans could keep up with demand, I was hoping that the factory had come up with something.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

Electric cooling fans draw a lot of juice if they are anywhere near the CFM rating of an engine-driven fan. An electrically operated fan-clutch makes more sense, and it avoids the sometimes inconsistent calibration of a viscous fan-clutch.