Thread: Turbo'ing a 1987 chassis

Default Turbo'ing a 1987 chassis

Not sure if this is the right place...mods please move if appropriate.

My recently acquired 1987 CC Dually...as I'm building up the engine for my Jeep, I am more and more thinking of diesel swap on the dually. I have this extra Navistar block that is just sitting in the shed staring at me.

But, we all know that stuffing a turbo into this chassis is a PITA, and the old Banks manifolds are rare as hens teeth and cost their weight in gold. As the Navistar blocks are machined for a center mounted turbo, it has me thinking...has anyone tried using the center mount turbo setup in the early style body?

More importantly, would I be able to stuff something like a HX-35 into it?

Anyone have any pics of the center mount setup? Been searching google and haven't found any clear pics.

I like the idea of a 6.5 because it is bolt-in with all factory parts.

For now, let's keep the discussion related to a turbo 6.5 and not go the route of "why don't you just install a DMax/Cummins/3208/etc..."

Thanks!
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

Arrow

If your '87 CC dually has a BBC now (probably?), look at the area around the distributor. A center mount turbo will be about twice the height above the engine. Now, look behind the distributor and engine, and consider the plumbing involved. Perhaps with a 3-4" body lift, or positioning the powertrain quite a bit forward (or both).

That said, it wouldn't be that difficult to plumb a GM-X or HX turbo away from the traditional 6.5TD pickup location.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

From what I am seeing, I think I need A LOT more space behind it.

If I do go this way, I'm more thinking of moving the heater box inside via a Vintage Air kit and using factory 6.5 manifolds.

Unless I stumble onto a good deal on a DMax/Cummins/3208/etc...
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...