Thread: high parts per million copper and lead

Default high parts per million copper and lead

i have an 02lb7 running royal purple 15w40 i get oil analsys at the oil change and last week it came back high with 35 ppm of copper and 44ppm (parts per milllion) of lead i was wondering what that could be and what i should do about it

lead ad copper are layerings in the bearing surfaces. is th engine making any noise? how many miles on the engine and hows the oil pressure? if the engine is not making any noise then just monitor the engine. but plan on a rebuild in the future. oil spectro is a good way to track he engine. if its done from the begining. if this is the first spectro that has been done it can give you a false insecurity. run til the next spectro is due and compare its the cheap and tell tale way to track the engines reliability

Is this your first oil analysis on this engine? How many miles on the engine and on the oil?
    From what I know about oil analysis is the numbers are only relevant in comparison to readings from the same type of engine. You can't say this much copper is bad or iron should be below (x) as a universal yard stick.

I think I read somewhere that the 6.6L duramax engines always have a higher Copper contact due to the copper heat exchanger in the oil cooler continually leeching some copper into the oil.

i have 15000 miles on the oil with a filter change in the middle 70000 miles on the truck my last oil check wasnt high in copper or led no odd noises

Change your oil more often. My bet is the figures will drop back to 'normal'. (Whether that is less bearing wear due to better oil, or less copper in the oil due to shorter change intervals is another question.)
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 01-12-2008 at 06:26.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K