Thread: My intercooler rub hole fix.

Default My intercooler rub hole fix.

Well, the truck seized up a idler pulley (345,000 miles) the other day so it was a perfect time to dig in and get all the little things fixed at the same time. I had a band-aid on my rub hole, made of a thin piece of aluminum and a half a roll of duct tape...lol.. This is what I came up and feel it is a rock solid fix and shouldn't have another issue.

I made a big enough patch of 1/8" aluminum to cover the hole and then beat the patch to fit the pipes contour. Welded the patch and then used an extra upper power steering hose rubber I had to cover the pipe. Hopefully I'll never have that issue again.

David
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Oneton
    2002 3500HD Pewter/lt grey interior Crew Cab 4x4 LT Durmax/Allison

Arrow

Good job! The thin tubing isn't too hard to weld when using a TIG welder (and someone who knows how to use it). I needed to produce a custom set of aluminum IC pipes for my conversion project. I had a local guy who builds custom snow machines do the welding for me.

Thanks MP! Hopefully that will be the end of any more holes. I just couldn't stomach spending 300 bucks for new aftermarket pipes with as little gain as JK said. GM's price for just the single was more than that!..grrrr
    Oneton
    2002 3500HD Pewter/lt grey interior Crew Cab 4x4 LT Durmax/Allison