Thread: Replaced Starter WOW !!!!!

Unhappy

I could not believe the quote from the dealer for a new starter. Over $900, plus labor, but discounted to $750, they could not believe it either. I then remembered I had an intended warranty, $100 deductible approved, so the price went back up to $900+.
    At 54000 miles I believe I had a combination of bad fuel and injector problem which ended up with the replacement of the engine with a factory rebuilt long block. The dealer tried for over a week to get the engine started but never could and stopped when oil started coming out the exhaust. After the replacement engine was installed, they could not keep it running smooth. The problem was 2 defective injectors, the newly engineered ones. All seems to be A OK since I got it back in Oct. I'm wondering if all that cranking caused a premature failure of the starter? I still love my truck and will keep on wheeling with it.

2002 Silverado 2500HD,CC,<br />LB,4x4,D/A TWD,9-03-01, picked up 9/13/01<br />LINE-X over the rails<br />RETRAX Roll Top Cover<br />DTA Stainless Steel Tapered Running Boards<br />LUCERIX X-Mount Mirrors<br />Rancho RS 9000<br />Air Lift Springs<br />Virginia Tag ( 1LKARCK )<br />1likearock@cox.net

Arrow

I don't know how they're getting them, but the following contact is selling new Duramax starters for less than $200. Call 800-753-2242

I paid $200 for a like-new take-out starter for Lil Red last year from a regional auto salvage center.

MP

Question

Thanks for your input. I got the same quote from 2 dealers. In both cases they could hardly believe the price themselves. Well it's all history now and since it was done by Goodwench, it has a lifetime guarantee as long as I own the unit.
    2002 Silverado 2500HD,CC,<br />LB,4x4,D/A TWD,9-03-01, picked up 9/13/01<br />LINE-X over the rails<br />RETRAX Roll Top Cover<br />DTA Stainless Steel Tapered Running Boards<br />LUCERIX X-Mount Mirrors<br />Rancho RS 9000<br />Air Lift Springs<br />Virginia Tag ( 1LKARCK )<br />1likearock@cox.net

Jim Brzozowski Guest

Richard, a lot of manufactures say don't run the starter motor for more than 15 seconds contineously to keep heat build up down, otherwise as the heat builds in a starter the resistence increases and that leaves less power available as useful voltage to spin the starter, because of the loss due to the heat. I wouldn't wonder, I'd almost be will to bet it did, if I were a betting man. Never known a starter to wear out sitting still.

Exclamation

Originally posted by Richard Pelletier:
    Thanks for your input. I got the same quote from 2 dealers. In both cases they could hardly believe the price themselves. Well it's all history now and since it was done by Goodwench, it has a lifetime guarantee as long as I own the unit.
    Better read the fine print. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that "lifetime" warranty only applies to service you pay for. Warranty repairs are excluded. It would be nice if it worked out.

$900 for a starter. Who do they think they are kidding.....I think I know the answer to that one.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Question

I don't know but the dealer is the one who said it was life time. ???????

Did he tell you this before or after the extended warranty came up?

Jake99Z71 Guest

One word Ebay. I've seen about a dozen on there for $100-150 range.

I was told after the warranty was brought up.

Talking

Any way I have a NEW starter that cost me $100 and was installed too.

madmatt Guest

the lifetime warr. is good on repairs not covered by factory warr. It doesn't matter if it's customer pay or extended warr. as long as someone pays other then GM. I'm not 100% sure how it works w/ GMPP but I think it's the same as any other extended warr.

jeff1216, sure is a great price!! Thanks for sharing the info. I just hope anyone that needs one will see it.