Thread: 6.2 into 94 k1500 Burb

Default 6.2 into 94 k1500 Burb

Hi everyone I have been planning to do a 6.2/6.5 into my gas burb for a year now, and I finally got a donor! Picked up a 94k mile 84 K10 with a 6.2/700r4 combo. Body is shot but it runs great and the trans shifts beautifully.
    I am going to use this winter to get everything figured out and then do the swap this spring.
    Questions:
    Oil pans, I assume they are the same throughout the years? So the 84 SAS pan will still work in my IFS burb?

Hydroboost: the booster unit in the truck is leaking, and needs replaced. I recall reading that the unit bolt pattern was different in the pre 88 style trucks, and do not bolt up in the later ones with out mods. Should I buy a booster for a 94 diesel burb? Will the lines still be the same from the 84 pump to the booster?

A/C- The K10 has a/c, and my burb does. The K10 is obviously a v-belt system, and my burb serpentine. Is there a compressor that will work in my situation, being v-belt, but still use the same manifold style hookup as the later compressor? I need to replace my compressor anyway, the front bearing just finally gave it up. Another thought was if I can swap the clutch assy from a v-belt compressor onto the later compressor?

this should be a really cool conversion. In fact, I'm pretty much getting ready to do the same conversion as you. The donor is a 82 6.2 Suburban and the engine is going into a 1999 Tahoe that has the same body as yours.

To answer your questions, I think you'll be best off using a serpentine set up from a 6.5L equipped truck OBDI 1995 and older. You'll need the water pump, fan, alternator and power steering pump. You'll also need the diesel radiator as well. You probably could use the radiator out of the K10 but it would require some retrofitting.

Are you planning to do any upgrades to the 6.2L? It would be a good time to do it when the engine is out.

Also, if you find a serpentine belt setup for a 96 and newer 6.5L, let me know. I'm still trying to locate one. I'll let you know if I find an older setup.

Quote Originally Posted by SVO1 View Post

A/C- The K10 has a/c, and my burb does. The K10 is obviously a v-belt system, and my burb serpentine. Is there a compressor that will work in my situation, being v-belt, but still use the same manifold style hookup as the later compressor? I need to replace my compressor anyway, the front bearing just finally gave it up. Another thought was if I can swap the clutch assy from a v-belt compressor onto the later compressor?
    That would be cool if you could swap a clutch assembly from a v-belt compressor onto the later compressor. However, I doubt it's possible. Although I was thinking it might be possible to have a v-belt pulley machined for your current serpentine compressor.

Well, another option would be to just use the all the accessories and V belt setup from the K10 engine however, you'll have to make some custom hoses to hook up the A/C and all of that.
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear