Thread: Kennedy Diesel dual program ECM

Default Kennedy Diesel dual program ECM

Had my first 360 mile road test with the Kennedy dual program ECM. Pulling 25' trailer and a light 3K load, I averaged nearly 15mpg for the day, most of it at 70mph as I was in a hurry and not trying to conserve fuel, but 'make time'. I would estimate that it was a solid 1.5mpg better than what I would have expected given the higher than normal speeds for the day.

Power is smooth, nice shift transitions and probably a better overall tune than GM ships from the factory, based on my first day towing.

I think my Predator is now demoted to 'pulling and resetting codes' duty...the Predator shift transitions are flat and throttle response is choppy and nothing you'd expect from the factory on the higher HP settings. It acts and feels 'aftermarket' in comparison to the Kennedy tune, and belches black smoke on the top settings with high EGTs.

Haven't spent much time testing the Kennedy high HP tune, but did try a few 2/3 throttle blasts with the empty trailer up rolling Wisconsin hills on I-94. Impressive. Same thing - very linear, no flat spots, no bad behavior. Feels like factory stock but lots MORE POWER than the truck came with.

A+ rating from MRE. I'll likely be adding the same to the '01 LB7, possibly integrating it with propane controls for additional range and economy.
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 10-27-2006 at 04:41.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Thumbs up

Is Kennedy's dual program ecm custom for your particular application, or is it one he sells to anyone who understands EFI Live work requires real world knowledge of what to change for what you want the engine to do?

I've considered getting their program, but I don't think I could create a program as good as he could due to the difference in knowledge of diesel performance and equipment he has and I don't.

You've probably thought through that process enough times and deceided that buying his is much easier. I sware I don't know when that guy sleeps.
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rinker
    Had my first 360 mile road test with the Kennedy dual program ECM. Pulling 25' trailer and a light 3K load, I averaged nearly 15mpg for the day, most of it at 70mph as I was in a hurry and not trying to conserve fuel, but 'make time'. I would estimate that it was a solid 1.5mpg better than what I would have expected given the higher than normal speeds for the day.

Power is smooth, nice shift transitions and probably a better overall tune than GM ships from the factory, based on my first day towing.

I think my Predator is now demoted to 'pulling and resetting codes' duty...the Predator shift transitions are flat and throttle response is choppy and nothing you'd expect from the factory on the higher HP settings. It acts and feels 'aftermarket' in comparison to the Kennedy tune, and belches black smoke on the top settings with high EGTs.

Haven't spent much time testing the Kennedy high HP tune, but did try a few 2/3 throttle blasts with the empty trailer up rolling Wisconsin hills on I-94. Impressive. Same thing - very linear, no flat spots, no bad behavior. Feels like factory stock but lots MORE POWER than the truck came with.

A+ rating from MRE. I'll likely be adding the same to the '01 LB7, possibly integrating it with propane controls for additional range and economy.
    What were the EGT differences from before the Kennedy ECM?

Chris
    1999 F-250 PowerStroke Crew Cab Short Box Lariat 4X4
    Fumoto, Turbo-Master, MBRP 4", Billet Triple Disc TC, HD TransGo Tugger, AIS, Triple Pod, Autometer Phantoms, SPDiesel Overboost Eliminator, SCT Tuned By Tadd @ Elite Diesel Performance 75/100/125 and DP-Tuner 80 Econo PCM, Sirius Radio...
    2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Sport 4X4
    Stock for now...
    My Gallery

Maybe JK can chime in and tell more about the tune. All I know is one is for economy/towing, and the other is a big ole can of whoop ass for fun!

Unfortunately, I don't have an EGT or boost gauge on the 2002 yet. No change in water temp or tranny temps. I plan to add the same digital gauge as on the 2001.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Quote Originally Posted by Tough Guy
    What were the EGT differences from before the Kennedy ECM?

Chris
    In my truck, J/K's economy tune runs about 100 degrees less than the stock tune.
    2016 GMC SLT 2500 CC 4x4 Duramax All Terrain 59K
    1995 GMC 2500 EC 4x4 6.5TD,236K,Custom Tuning,HX40W-II turbo,Amsoil Bypass Filter,KD Exhaust,FSD Cooler,KD Headlight booster,Hi-cap Cooling
    TDP member #14

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxPollock
    Is Kennedy's dual program ecm custom for your particular application, or is it one he sells to anyone who understands EFI Live work requires real world knowledge of what to change for what you want the engine to do?

I've considered getting their program, but I don't think I could create a program as good as he could due to the difference in knowledge of diesel performance and equipment he has and I don't.

You've probably thought through that process enough times and deceided that buying his is much easier. I sware I don't know when that guy sleeps.
    There will be 5 tune switchable capability soon, but to br honest, I see no need.

What Mark has is one of my "House" tunes customized for his needs. For my EFI Live customers, I do a simple quick (free) single tune to show the basics of what we are changing. Then the user takes it from there...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!