Thread: 2004 LB7 injecters

Default 2004 LB7 injecters

My 2004 GMC has 72,000 miles with no problems except the injectors. the first time at 42,000 truck had bad smokes, dealer said need injectors, record indicates they changes 8 injectors, work was done in less than three hours, ( do you beleive in that). Then again over time black smoke again. at 72,000 took it back, comments needs 8 injectors. so they changed it took couple days with rebuilt ones. No more black smoke. I never had power issue or other problems except oil gets dark early, ? diesle fuel and oil pressure reading is lower, at hot idle # 25-26.( it was 30).
    The question I have, how long more I can trust this sets of injectors. The car is going out of warranty in November10. Is it worth of keeping, and swallow 4-5 thousands dollor repair cost in near future or just sell it and forget about diesel any more. Thanks

Your oil pressure is fine. People are overly concerned that their oil psi reads low when it's perfectly normal. An oil analysis would be a good way to verify that there is not excessive fuel in the oil.

As for injectors they have improved over the years. That said there are still no guarantees. You would do well to take a proactive stance and improve filtration, add a lift pump setup, and use a quality additive. Also consider changing fuel stops.

Quite often we hear of repeated injector failures on the same vehicle. It's not likely to be the vehicle being a lemon, the owners bad luck etc. It's more likely environmental. Fuel quality in a nutshell...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

I change the oil every 3-4000 miles, change the fuel filter every 5000 miles religously. I buy fuel from ARCO never had water in fuel issues. I guess I should live with the injector issue or just forget diesle engine, for me toeing 3500 lbs camper should not be an issue with petrol engine. I assume this new set of injectors would last another year or so.

Thanks for reply.

If you are unwilling to take a proactive approach (change fuel stops and improve fuel system) I would suggest one of the following:

1) Buy a helmet and strap it on

2) Start saving for continued expense

3) Sell the truck and move on.

These are the harsh realities as I see them.

Once again:
    Quite often we hear of repeated injector failures on the same vehicle. It's not likely to be the vehicle being a lemon, the owners bad luck etc. It's more likely environmental. Fuel quality in a nutshell...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

I can't say more than what JK had said. Being a first time diesel D-Max owner, this is the best set up you will get on the market. Maybe you are pulling a little light for the D-Max. But the diesel will blow the gas engines out of the water in nearly all performance catagories. Fuel mileage is a huge plus! Not only when towing/hauling but running empty.

The injectors can be a problem, but as JK has said, you can "help" your truck and potentially make the injectors last ALOT longer. Start by having JK set you up with the lift pump/filtration set-up. Alot of guys (like myself) run amsoil, or a synthetic. If you are concerned do an oil analysis every so often. Change the fuel filter! I do mine every 10k, or once a year. Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. Like my grandad always said, "you take care of it and it will last".

Lastly, check in and read random forums, that alone has expanded my knowledge base. there is a ton of expert knowledge on here, use it.

Good luck.... Shed
    01' LB7 2500 HD ext.cab, auto, 4" magnaflow, airaid intake, Mag-Hytec tranny pan, all Amsoil, Bilsteins.

In pusuit of the perfect camper pulling rig....

05'-30' Pilgrim 5th wheel

Always on the road headin for a campsite!