Thread: 4x4 engaged for racing?

Default 4x4 engaged for racing?

Does anyone know if the 4x4 needs to be turned off after launch on the track to eliminate burnout or it can be left on throughout the quarter mile?
    I am getting the sleeves from Pacific Engineering for the tie rods for the 2007 LBZ Duramax Allison so the tie rods do not toe in and bend when taking off on 4x4 on the track.
    I need more information before I try that, I have on the floor shifter for the
    4x4, i wished I got the electronic 4x4 switch instead.
    I was doing 14.8 seconds in the quarter on the old highway on Performance(Bully Dog) on my LBZ crew cab fully loaded with toolbox and 285's without the 4x4, I took off in 2WD and did not rev up doing take off because it burns out too much and defuels if it does that. I took off on quarter throttle and gradually floored it. I have not used the Crazy Larry yet. This is a working truck.
    Bad Max

Do you have a locker in the rear axle yet? Cause it would be way cheaper to install a locker than to repair the damage you will end up doing to your 4wd.

The problem with running 4wd on hard dry surfaces is LACK of wheel spin. Stacked differences in overall gearing between front and rear axles lead to binding in your drivetrain. If that binding cannot release via slippage then it will release via breakage.

It doesn't take much to create binding in the drivetrain either. Your front and rear gearing should be the same, but even differences in tire wear and tire pressure can realistically change your gearing enough to create binding. If the binding gets bad enough then you won't even be able to shift out of 4wd due to tension in the t-case.

The big boys get away with running 4wd because they have enough power to insure slippage whenever they want, or they are just lucky. With this being a real work truck I would add a Detroit, or even better an ARB or other selectable locker and see how well you hook up with that.

Course this is all just my opinion, but that's what the internets for
    1995 Chevy Silverado ext cab, long bed.
    6.5 Turbo diesel with lots of miles
    Using to pull 4-horse trailer, and jeeps

Mods:
    HO water pump single T-Stat @ 235K
    Remote mounted FSD @ 237K

Other Rides:
    1972 cj5 Homemade TBI on a old 350 (it's my wannabe rock-crawler)
    Three Willy's Wagons, One runs, one could run, and one is a total basket case.....kinda like me

Can't speak for everyone, but myself and at least some others push the 2WD button before turning off the track and onto the return lane. Binding isn't an issue because you're using a lot of power in a straight line, and there'll be some wheel slip. Under power, the 4WD system likely wouldn't disengage anyway - till you let off.

It's a rush to hear the tires sing at each shift - in 4WD no less....

JIm

Default Using 4x4 on dry pavement?

I don't race my truck, but I occasionally engage 4-wheel drive in order to turn onto a busy road (dry or wet) and not spin and/or slide when mashing the throttle. Once going, I disenage 4x4.

Does anybody know if this will damage my drivetrain?

DieselMax403
    2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 4x4 Crew Cab SLT D/A, Banks TLC Stinger Kit, Stock XM Radio, Wheel-to-Wheel Go Rhino Chrome Step Bars, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, Line-X Bedliner, 265/75 E REVO AT's on 16 x 8 Weld Cheyenne 8 Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAX403 View Post
    I don't race my truck, but I occasionally engage 4-wheel drive in order to turn onto a busy road (dry or wet) and not spin and/or slide when mashing the throttle. Once going, I disenage 4x4.

Does anybody know if this will damage my drivetrain?

DieselMax403
    with big power its been known to bend the tie rods in the front end but thats it , no other drive line damage .
    93 c-2500 6.5td,96 6.5td x cab,01 GMC lb7 Xcab ,2004 lly crew cab ,2006 lbz crew cab,honda CBR1100xx,2003 polaris prox 700 , 2001 31' holiday rambler 10K lbs house on wheels!