Thread: Wandering Coolant Temperature

Default Wandering Coolant Temperature

Hello

For the past couple of months I have been watching my temperature gauge move around while driving. It goes from running temp of ~190 all the way down to 160 and everywhere in between. This became more noticable today while on the highway driving home for Christmas. As the temperature gauge would fluctuate the truck would surge as if it is switiching from cold to hot mode if that make any sense.

The temperature sending unit was changed last year when I Broke the plastic housing for the plug while changing the alternator.

I believe the problem is related to the sending unit somehow. Last week after driving the truck for awhile, I shut it off to go into the store. When I came out I had had a very long glow plug light as if the engine was cold. The gauge was all the way at the bottom. With the engine running I went and pulled on the sending unit wires and I could hear the engine change tones, and presto gauge was accurate.

So onto the question, Is it likely the sending unit, it seems like a simple piece of metal to me, not sure how possible it is for one to fail, is there a way to check it or do I start with swapping it and then start tracing wires.

Thanks
    Sam

2001 LB7 190,000
    Last edited by duramax170; 12-21-2011 at 20:51. Reason: Grammer, its an ongoing problem
    2001 summit white ext. cab D/A

If you used an aftermarket sebder I'd start there by changing to a GM part. Adding the cold front will help stabilize, and if your thermostats are original it would be a good idea to change them plus the coolant.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

A scan tool or a programmer could be used to verify what the computer is seeing for temp. Sounds like a sender problem, but if a new one doesn't help, I'd look deeper with a scan tool to help narrow it down. Also, check the electrical connector and wiring for damage - since it was recently unplugged/plugged-in.

Jim

Default Wandering ECT with surging

Duramax170, the EXACT same thing happened to me. It’s funny how identical the circumstances are. What ended up fixing your problem?

Default Wandering temps

My LBZ was doing that occasionally after I got it, roughly a year ago. I found the pigtail that plugs into the sending unit was not making a good connection where the wires enter the plug. I could make the temp wander around by moving the wires around. I changed the pigtail and have no more trouble.
    email rfkjr@juno.com
    07 2500HD C/C LBZ 248k
    83 K2500 X 6.2, now 390 Stroker,18.5 & 19.5x 44 TSL\'s & Boggers,5.13w/Det.Lkrs. Mud Toy
    90 ISUZU, 350 eng, 350 trans, Double xfer cases, 2.5 Military Axles, Tractor tires

Arrow

Low coolant due to a head gasket leak or compression pressure blowing the coolant out through the coolant surge tank overflow can also cause big swings in coolant temperature.

The situation mentioned in the opening post in this thread doesn't indicate low coolant, but we're hearing of more incidents like this as these trucks age.

So, I would check the coolant level whenever there's a big swing in engine coolant temperature (usually felt in the heater output).