Thread: Which Predator Level for best Mileage?

Default Which Predator Level for best Mileage?

My predator comes with 4 levels-45HP(tow)/65HP/85HP/120HP I have a pyro gauge and read on this forum that 600 degrees will give the best mileage.
    I have tried every level and my DIC shows the 120HP setting to give me the best mileage. Mike from Diablo says not to believe the DIC as it is not accurate when a tune is added.
    I have also read that if your easy on the throttle that the 120HP level will give the best mileage. I find this hard to believe since adding HP with Tuners increases the amount of fuel injected as well as adjusting the timing.

SOOO My question is: Has anyone experimented with the different levels and hand calculated their fuel mileage and what level worked the best when unloaded?
    2006 Chevy Silverado LT 2500 HD 4x4 LLY 6 sp Allison / CCSB / Dual Pillar pod - Autometer Z series pyro & boost / 4" Silverline T/B T-409 SS w 5" Tip / Volant C.A.I. with Proguard 7 filter / Diablosport Predator / Blocked EGR / LT305/70R16 Buckshot Maxxis Mudders / Sirius / Rhino Liner / Leveling Kit / Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags / Trail FX Stainless Bull Bar and Side Step Rails / Stainless Billet Grille, Bug Deflector & Ventshades
    2007 38' Victory Lane 5th Wheel Tri-Axle Toy Hauler, 2 slides, 12' Garage
    other toys: 700 RMK, 600 XLT, 500 Cat ATV, YZ250F, 14' Lund

I had an early Predator for my 2001. Ran it on levels 1 and 2, towing and empty. 1 seemed to give the best mileage, and no issues of slipping the transmission under load. 2 would probably be good with a light foot. Agreed that there is something amiss if the 150hp setting appears to yield the best mileage.

I do know that 150hp setting + 100 setting of propane + 32 lbs of boost will eat Mustangs for lunch in 4HI, but you should be skilled in head gasket replacement.

"Mama always told me not to look into the sights of the sun Oh, but Mama, that's where the fun is ..." Bruce Springsteen/Manford Mann
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Thanks for the reply.
    Thats what I'm looking for. Even someone who constantly drives 100-200 miles from point A to B frequently who has experimented with their programmer.

I can't wait for more feedback.
    2006 Chevy Silverado LT 2500 HD 4x4 LLY 6 sp Allison / CCSB / Dual Pillar pod - Autometer Z series pyro & boost / 4" Silverline T/B T-409 SS w 5" Tip / Volant C.A.I. with Proguard 7 filter / Diablosport Predator / Blocked EGR / LT305/70R16 Buckshot Maxxis Mudders / Sirius / Rhino Liner / Leveling Kit / Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags / Trail FX Stainless Bull Bar and Side Step Rails / Stainless Billet Grille, Bug Deflector & Ventshades

I have seen hand calculated best MPG's with the 120 tune. This will hold true due to the increase timing. But, this all has to do with the way you drive. The 120hp tune can also give the worst milage.

I have seen 18.8mpg with 250 highway miles and 150 city driving on the 120 tune

I have seen 17.9 mpg with the 65 tune 50-50 highway and city.

Hope this helps,

Jamie

Thanks Jamie

I agree that it all depends on the way you drive. There are just so many variables to consider: wind, temp, tire pressure, restrictions in air and fuel filters and the list goes on.

I wish that one of the magazines would pick the popular programmers and run a test to see which tune gives the best mileage.

Talking

I do know that 150hp setting + 100 setting of propane + 32 lbs of boost will eat Mustangs for lunch in 4HI, but you should be skilled in head gasket replacement.

Mark, well put, & probably most any other car not extremely tuned.
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.