Thread: 2003 Suburban 4x4

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2003 Suburban 4x4

hey guys im new to forum and i am buying a 2003 chevrolet suburban 4x4 its got the 5.3 in it and i want to drop a duramax and allison transmission in it....i have read a bunch of info on this stuff but nothing that helps in does wires need to all be repined and traced or is it plug in and boom....motor mounts need to be changed or not.....and i know i need 3" body lift thats no problem....also what else would i need to change or get to make the vehicle reliable and run....all help will be appriciated......im new to diesel but have built many all motor and turboed cars so good with machanics

Welcome to the board!

Actually, a 2" body lift is usually sufficient to provide enough clearance for the Duramax/Allison.

You'll need the radiator core support to work with the Dmax radiator and intercooler. Most of the wiring will simply be a plug-n-play excercise. There are a couple of very minor differences, but overall it's an easy conversion.

You may need the motor mounts for the Dmax, though I haven't seen the equivalent mounts used on a gas engine.

You'll need the hydraulic brake booster and master cyl used on the diesels.

Jim

where would i go to find a wrecked diesel or to even start looking for ones im in arizona if that helps

Arrow

I would begin a search of eBay. Ebay frequently lists "Duramax conversion packages" for sale that contain all or most of what you'd need. If you know someone in the auto insurance business, ask them to help you locate an insurance salvage auction in your area, looking for a wrecked Duramax/Allison equipped truck. Local retail auto salvage yard prices usually discourage conversion prospects, but do remain a potential source for at least some of the pieces.

Failing that, the following auto salvage centers have helped with conversion packages in the past:

Schram Auto Parts
    Waterford, MI
    1-800-462-9292
    Mason, MI
    1-800-292-1032
    www.SchramAuto.com

Stricker Auto Parts
    Batavia, OH
    1-800-582-5405
    www.StrickerBros.com

G&R Auto Parts
    Oklahoma City, OK
    1-800-678-3377
    www.GandRAutoParts.com

Nordstrom's Automotive, Inc.
    Garretson, SD
    1-800-272-0083
    www.NordstromsAuto.com

Spalding Auto Parts
    Spokane, WA
    1-800-366-2070
    www.SpauldingAutoParts.com

ok thanks and i shoujld look for a 2003 right so its same year on everything

Using an engine/trans the same model year of your Suburban would likely make it easier, though I might be tempted by super deal for an engine/trans that was newer.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=35589

Jim

Default 03 Suburban Duramax swap

Hi there new to this page was wondering if I can get some help I did a conversion on an 03 Suburban with an 05 LLY Duramax the Suburban starts but will not run because there is no communication with the TCM I've seen somewhere in this page I read that there was wires to be repaired any information on that any info would be highly appreciated thank you