Thread: Trouble after 350 to 6.2 diesel conversion

Default Trouble after 350 to 6.2 diesel conversion

I just finished dropping in a 6.2L diesel in place of the gas 5.7 motor. Everything is pretty much hooked up but I'm having serious problems. The motor isn't turning over. I pulled the motor out of a donor truck and it ran great up until i pulled it. The motor was infront of an automatic tranny but it is now infront of a standard. When the key is turn, the starter engages on the flywheel but the flywheel wont turn. I don't see what the problem could be. I used an alignment tool while installing the clutch and pressure plate. The bell housing bolted right up and aligned fine. The only thing that may be causing the problem is the slave cylinder. It was torn up after the swap so i replaced it. I got it bled partially but it isn't fully pushing against the arm that comes out of the tranny. I'm thinking that maybe bleeding it fully and allowing the pressure plate to be pushed on with full pressure it may solve the problem. When the key is turned the battery sparks which im assuming is because the starter is working too hard and still can't turn the motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm lost and have little time left to finish.

Can you turn the motor over by hand? Make sure there is no mecanical problem first. I have started mine in gear when the slave cylinder went out.

Might want to get the air out too so you can drive it.

Check all your wiring going to the starter, If all is good work back from there to the ignition switch.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Jack up a wheel or disconnect the rear driveline, then try the starter.

You need to determine whether the engine won't turn over because of the clutch problem or because the engine is locked up.

If you believe the engine is locked up, pull the glow plugs, then try again. Could it be that fuel or some other liquid has hydro-locked the engine?

Jim

And just because... You're using the diesel starter - right?
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423