Thread: Dodge Dually Transmission Failure

Default Dodge Dually Transmission Failure

My next site neighbor has a 2005 Dodge Dually Diesel with 110,000 miles. He is a very non-aggressive driver like me so I'm sure abuse isn't the cause and he maintains his truck correctly. But his transmission failed a few days ago to the tune of $4,300.00. He was told it had been running hot and this was a known problem with this year model, so when they rebuilt the transmission they also installed a trans cooler.

The funny thing is this same guy said this is his 3rd Dodge diesel and his third trans failure at the 100,000 mile mark.

I'm glad I have an Allison.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

Talking

I think Dodge started using the 48RE trans in 2002 or 2003 thru 2007 and went to another model trans after that. Before the 48RE they used the 47RE which was an updated electronic controlled version of the 727 trans.
    The old 727 trans was the design that was used behind the MOPAR big blocks like the 383, 440 and 426 Hemi. And it was a good transmission for Gas engines that turned up to 6,000 RPM. The big blocks didn't develop higher peak torque #s until up over 4,000 RPM.
    I worked as a Chrysler Technician in 1970 during the MOPAR Muscle car days, so I did have quite a bit of experience with the early A- 727 Torqueflite tranny's.
    So the dilemma was that although the 727 was a good trans for the big blocks at higher RPM's it just wouldn't hold up to the stresses behind a diesel engine that produces it's peak torque in the RPM range somewhere between 1900 to 2700. Something about "clutch packs and their clamp pressures" being less or more stressed at lower rpm's during high outputs is how a trans re-builder explained it to me. I guess that makes sense.
    Both models of these transmissions were not very reliable or durable when used behind the cummins from what I've heard.
    I do know first hand our experience with the 47RE it was in a new 97 Dodge cummins 4x4 pickup with the 47RE.
    Again the 47RE was just basically the Chrysler 727 transmission updated for use with the cummins.
    We put a total of 96,000 miles on that truck in 3 years with only moderate towing of "10,000 lbs" for about 30,000 miles of that. We always did better than the required maintenance. And the truck had a trans cooler on it. And the truck was stock, with no performance mods.
    We received the Chrysler Extended warranty when we purchased the truck as part of the deal. I'm not a fan of extended warranty's but it came with the deal.
    Wow we were we glad that we had the warranty because in those 96,000 miles the Dodge Dealer rebuilt that transmission 5 times. When they took it out of the shop for the test drive on the 5th rebuild the trans locked up and also blew the overdrive unit out.
    They towed it back to the Dealership and ordered a new trans and overdrive unit from Chrysler and installed it.
    Also the technician did some upgrades and mods to the transmissions during the rebuilds, supposedly to help solve the problems with the 47RE failing.
    So much for that !
    We traded the Dodge in on a new 2001 GMC 3500 Duramax/Allison and never had another transmission problem except for replacing the neutral safety switch on that first allison at about 80,000 miles. The switch failed during a brutal slushy snowy winter, the moisture is what did it in. GM came out with an upgraded switch to deal with that from then on.
    And replacing the neutral safety switch was easy and inexpensive to do.
    We had 3 more Dmax's with Allison's thru the years the last being a 2011 LML.
    Absolutely no trans issues again. Actually the only issue out of any of our other Dmax trucks was getting a re flash on the 2011 for a "DEF quality poor" message and that was it.
    Yes be glad you have an Allison.
    Last edited by cowboywildbill; 01-02-2017 at 23:48.