Thread: Parts for TH400 to NV4500

Default Parts for TH400 to NV4500

I'm planning to swap the TH400 in my M1008(85 K30) with a 6.2 to a NV4500. I'm at the ground floor here as far as collecting the required parts. Has anyone done the conversion and did they do it without buying a kit? I would rather try to get it all done with junk yard parts rather than a $1000 kit, but I will do what I have to. Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by kenz5380 View Post
    I'm planning to swap the TH400 in my M1008(85 K30) with a 6.2 to a NV4500. I'm at the ground floor here as far as collecting the required parts. Has anyone done the conversion and did they do it without buying a kit? I would rather try to get it all done with junk yard parts rather than a $1000 kit, but I will do what I have to. Any advice?
    Check your local want adds and you may g lucky by running across a truck with a blown 6.5 and a manual trans.

You'd probably have to buy the while truck, but you'd get everything you need right down to the pedal assembly and then junk what's left. Your donor truck is also a perfect road map; unbolt part from donor, reinstall in same place on your truck.

Trucks with dead 6.5's (snapped crank, cracked blocks, dead pmd, etc) go pretty cheap around these parts and can be had for around 500 bucks. Hopefully they do where you are too.

As a side bonus, you can scab some spare parts of it (ie: wiper motor, etc) before it goes to the crusher.
    1998 k2500

I have done this swap in m y truck and a couple others not sure how you want to go about it but the easiest way is to use the 96 and later trans with the internal slave get a set of hydraulic pedals and adapt the 80s style clutch master to the line for the nv4500 or adapt the newer master to fit the truck I have alost dont the earlier model nv4500 with the external slave 92 to 95 if you got a 4x4 it will not clear the front driveshaft unless you got a suspension lift now my conversion is the dreaded one that they will all tell you NOT to do I used a 92 model from my 2500 that I sold and kept the trans for my 82 then I picked up an advance adapters bellhousing for peanuts online just the bellhousing then I took the front shaft bearing retainor and turned it on a lathe nearly 3/16 of an onch till it fit snug in the bell housing then replaced the 8mm bolts with bolts with allen heads for clearance then we made a pivot stud and used a stock 4 speed clutch fork now I had to grind alot out of my universal chevy 4 speed bellhousing to accomodate the larger diesel starter this was a pain in the short hairs cause it was the one thing i overlooked before i put it all in the truck I used the stock th400 xmember and np 208 transfer case and stock nv4500 trans mount frm the 92 all fit like a glove like it was made to be no driveshaft mods were required at all I am using all mechanical clutch linkage like what an 82 pickup would come with from the factory and best of all the same year clutch its not much of a mongrel at all it looks like it came in the truck I have some old pics of the swap I will try to post what you use for a trans and whats in your truck and how you want it are the big objectives.
    1982 chevy k30 srw P400 6500/nv4500 first car/mid life crisis till I die
    2013 chevy impala ltz loaded wifes new car

2002 nissan maxima gas sipper

not sure if these came out but heres a few pics of my swap
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vin82k3500 View Post
    I have done this swap in m y truck and a couple others not sure how you want to go about it but the easiest way is to use the 96 and later trans with the internal slave get a set of hydraulic pedals and adapt the 80s style clutch master to the line for the nv4500 or adapt the newer master to fit the truck I have alost dont the earlier model nv4500 with the external slave 92 to 95 if you got a 4x4 it will not clear the front driveshaft unless you got a suspension lift now my conversion is the dreaded one that they will all tell you NOT to do I used a 92 model from my 2500 that I sold and kept the trans for my 82 then I picked up an advance adapters bellhousing for peanuts online just the bellhousing then I took the front shaft bearing retainor and turned it on a lathe nearly 3/16 of an onch till it fit snug in the bell housing then replaced the 8mm bolts with bolts with allen heads for clearance then we made a pivot stud and used a stock 4 speed clutch fork now I had to grind alot out of my universal chevy 4 speed bellhousing to accomodate the larger diesel starter this was a pain in the short hairs cause it was the one thing i overlooked before i put it all in the truck I used the stock th400 xmember and np 208 transfer case and stock nv4500 trans mount frm the 92 all fit like a glove like it was made to be no driveshaft mods were required at all I am using all mechanical clutch linkage like what an 82 pickup would come with from the factory and best of all the same year clutch its not much of a mongrel at all it looks like it came in the truck I have some old pics of the swap I will try to post what you use for a trans and whats in your truck and how you want it are the big objectives.
    Thanks for the info. So if I understand you right you are saying to look for a 96 or newer NV4500 from a 4wd chevy? I'll start canvasing the local junk yards for one. My truck currently has an NP208 t-case. Do I need an adapter to connect?

I really appreciate all this info.

yes look for the newer one that has the internal slave the line runs on the driver side so you will have no issues with your driveline being in the way as the older style with the external slave has it on the right hand side right in the way of the drive shaft and down pipe if you have a banks turbo this will make the swap much easier you will not need an adapter to bolt the nv4500 from a th400 to the np208 it fits like a glove like it was made to be the 4wd nv4500 and 4wd th400 are very close in length if not the same if you have the double hump trans cross member I know you can use that cause thats what I have I used the stock nv4500 trans mount from my donor the shifter is close to the cover that goes around the 208s 4wd shifter im working on that in mine also keep in mind that trans takes specific oil for the nv4500 only a dodge and gm part number are available put a list together and go shopping I am glad to be of help it seemed like a pain in my truck mainley because I used the older trans if I did it again I would use the newer one but I must say it was well worth the hours of cuss words you have no ideah how much power of your 6.2 goes to waste in that auto trans with no lockup it really put some yippeee in my truck and highway cruising is so much nicer I do agree though if you can get a donor for 500 it would be well worth it cause I know junkyards in my area get 850 for just the gearbox they sell the bellhousing and other stuff separate if you get a complete trans its a big help or this swap can get pricey

also keep in mind that if your running a 6.2 you will need the manual flywheel for the 6.2 as the 6.5 has one piece rear seal and the old 6.2s have a 2 piece rear seal and make sure you get a diesel flywheel or you will have an unhappy lil 6.2 like I do in the corner of my shop

Default Thats all great advice, thank you

Thank you all for the advice, much appreciated.

your welcome glad to be of help and this is a swap I have done alot of my daily driver has it I think gm should have built the truck that way

Quote Originally Posted by Vin82k3500 View Post
    96 trans...
    Hi, I'm keen to do something like this for a CUCV. The TH400 isn't suitable for highway miles.

I've seen one write up with my vehicle and a NV4500, but he used an older pre-96 tranny. It all bolted in with just a 2" difference in height over the cross member (fixed with a short piece of 2x2 square tubing bolted in).

Can you confirm that the older transmissions work just as well? The ratios in the older 96+ version look much more suitable for the 4.56 axles.

Any gotchas? I read I'll need a different starter (not sure if the 6.2 or 6.5) and maybe use a 6.5 flywheel? Will the bellhousing fit without holes? It looks almost too simple to be true.