Thread: Camper Towing

Default Camper Towing

I have a 1995 K1500 6.5L TD with some modifications; (PMD relocated, 4” exhaust and crossover pipe, new water pump for a 97). As stated in another thread, I’m working on the dual thermostat set-up. We have a 7000 lbs travel trailer that 30’ long. I’d like to tow my jon boat behind the camper, but I’m not sure if it’s a good idea. Thoughts?
    This is our first camper, but I’m no stranger the trailers. When I bought the camper my truck pulled it comfortably up to 70mph.

Arrow

"Camper" usually refers to an in-bed insert, not a tow vehicle. If your "camper" is a ball-hitch travel trailer, adding another behind, on another ball-hitch isn't legal, with VERY few exceptions. The truck will pull it fine, but it won't be legal, and it won't be safe (ball-hitch to ball-hitch is about as unsafe as trailering gets). There are a LOT of things to consider, other than just weight and length. A 30' TT is pushing the maximum overall length with a boat in tow, in any case. If your "camper" is a 5th wheel, it can be done, safely, but some legalities become involved, and you'll be limited to local trips without a CDL, if it's locally legal otherwise.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

Even if it is a legal pull, a 1500 series truck from that vintage isn't properly suited for this.
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project