Thread: Turbo Vane Position Sensor

Default Turbo Vane Position Sensor

Howdy Y'all...

2005 GMC 3500, about 140,000 miles. Stock, owned since 2010 @ 40,000 miles

About 2 years ago I lost all power and puked smoke an hour into a 5 hour drive home. Limped it home and checked codes. Code was Turbo Vane Position Sensor. Replaced it and it ran great until now.

Last month, same symptoms, same code, as well as one instance of a code for the MAF. I had scanned a handful of times and the MAF code only came up once. Replaced the Vane Position Sensor, ran great for a day then crapped the bed again. Has run fine most of the time since last month but the same symptoms have appeared a couple times then gone away. The last 2 times I went to drive the truck, the symptoms were as bad as they've ever been. This morning it stalled 4 times on my block so I parked it and scanned for codes. No codes whatsoever. I ordered another Vane Position Sensor and just finished replacing it. Didn't work.

Still no codes. Any ideas? Thanks, all!

Brett

Not 1 single idea with over 200 people viewing as we speak?.... I guess I found this website a whole lot more useful 10 years ago when I had my 6.5.....

Check the wiring harness for chafing?

Stalling would not be vane sensor related. I would start with fuel supply side particularly if you are running a black plastic fuel filter.

If you are having turbo issues it could be a sticking unison ring. More common on LBZ and LMM but I did a tech tip outlining the internal part of the project:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Ga...20sticking.pdf
    Last edited by Kennedy; 09-27-2017 at 09:30.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!