Thread: TPS Bypass Switch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default TPS Bypass Switch

I've done a lot of reading up on bypassing the TPS sensor, but haven't really found anything concrete on exactly how to do it. I'd like to install a bypass toggle switch so that I can have more control on when the TC locks and unlocks. I've seen where some install jumper wires and I think where Dmax installed a push/pull switch. I'd like to find out the following:

1) where the tps is located? On the side of the injection pump?
    2) where exactly will the bypass wires plug in at?
    3) what gauge wiring is best?

Thanks in advance!
    1988 K10 Suburban. 6.5L NA Goodwrench Engine: 506 block cast on August 12, 1996. Heavy Duty built 700R4. Full-floating 14 bolt rear axle. 3/4ton 10 bolt front. Brand new 305/75R16 Procomp AT Sport tires on brand new 16x8 steel wheels.

Arrow

If you want manual control of the TCC, the TPS is the LAST piece you'll mess with, if you mess with it at all. All the pressure switches inside the tranny, the brake switch and the ECM/ALDL lead need bypassed before the TPS ever comes into play. I've done this on my rigs, and a bunch of others. The TPS bypass was never needed, once the rest was done correctly. I suggest leaving it alone unless and until you have a very specific need to mess with it. If you still feel the need, try it without messing with it, first. You can always "bypass" it with 1% throttle pressure.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    If you want manual control of the TCC, the TPS is the LAST piece you'll mess with, if you mess with it at all. All the pressure switches inside the tranny, the brake switch and the ECM/ALDL lead need bypassed before the TPS ever comes into play. I've done this on my rigs, and a bunch of others. The TPS bypass was never needed, once the rest was done correctly. I suggest leaving it alone unless and until you have a very specific need to mess with it. If you still feel the need, try it without messing with it, first. You can always "bypass" it with 1% throttle pressure.

Thanks I will give that a try. I only asked about bypassing the tps bc there are a few posts on here that recommend bypassing the tps when the tc isn't locking/unlocking when it should. But I must have misunderstood what was being suggested. I'll give the throttle pressure suggestion a try! Thanks!
    1988 K10 Suburban. 6.5L NA Goodwrench Engine: 506 block cast on August 12, 1996. Heavy Duty built 700R4. Full-floating 14 bolt rear axle. 3/4ton 10 bolt front. Brand new 305/75R16 Procomp AT Sport tires on brand new 16x8 steel wheels.

Arrow

Bypassing the TPS may be helpful for diagnosing a problem, but little else. It's a switch, not a sensor/sender. It only closes when your foot is on the skinny pedal, which allows for lockup if all other conditions are met.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Arrow

It also has another purpose, in addition to TCC. It will also disengage the EGR, if so equipped.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Bypassing the TPS may be helpful for diagnosing a problem, but little else. It's a switch, not a sensor/sender. It only closes when your foot is on the skinny pedal, which allows for lockup if all other conditions are met.
    My apologies, I meant to say the switch, not the sensor.

Arrow

No worries. It can be a little confusing. Your 6.2L and early 6.5L (mechanical injection) both have a TPS. But, they are not the same. The 6.2L with an auto tranny (700R4) has a Throttle Position Switch. The MFI 6.5L with an auto (4L60E, 4L80E) has a Throttle Position Sensor. They are not interchangeable. Add to that, the 6.2L with a TH400 has no switch/sensor, but a vacuum valve in the same place. Clear as mud!
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A