Thread: 98 7.4 vortec to 6.5 turbo swap

Question 98 7.4 vortec to 6.5 turbo swap

Hey, I am new to this area as I have always been a gas engine nut.
    I have a J10 with a 455 olds, and have done plenty of gas engine swaps.

I have a 98 k3500 duelley with a 7.4 vortec and actually runs great, with 89,000 just tired of dumping gas into it.

I found a supplier that has 97-2000 used 6.5 with turbos,(under 150k with "F" vin code for $3600) also complete ecms to do the swap. What will I expect in the swap?...will the transmission bolt up? I know I may have to fab up mounts. I know I will have to change exhaust. Will the radiator and Powersteering pump work from my 7.4? what about A/C? Will I have to find a wiring harness?

Will my gas fuel pump work?

Any and all help will be deeply appreciated.

Smile engine swap

I have been down this road my signiture truck started life as a k3500 5.7 gas its now a tricked out 6.5 looks factory stock while except the after cooler remote mounted fsd the after market air cleaner, wiring wish can not tell it was not a 6.5 all its life if you like e-mail me privately i would be glad to talk to you on the phone to help answer your questions,

as for what you asked engine bolts directly in place no modifications, if you have auto you will need to swap out TC, yes you will nedd to find complete wiring harness unless you decided to go the mechanical DB2 fuel system route. not sure about ac mounting your a/c is on top of engine just like the 6.5 is radiator might work you will need to add a external oil cooler if you don't already have one.

I bought donor truck on e-bay for 2600 swap all part off of it on to this truck it had a vent oil pan where rods where hanging out.
    e-mail be glad to help you all i can by the way where are you located
    good luck
    Greg
    2003 CHEVY 4500 DURAMAX/ALLISON 14'
    SERVICE CRANE BODY 16,500 LBS 14.5 MPG
    1998 K3500 SRW CREW CAB TRANSPLANTED 6.5TD ELECTROINC INTO, HEATH COMPUTER, 40+HP INJECTORS, 4" EXHAUST, VACUUM ELEMTINATOR ON TURBO,UPGRADED COOLING WITH ALL GM PARTS,NO VACUUM PUMP, SST OIL COOLER LINES MADE LOCALY FRACTION OF THE COST, 3" TOURBO/BOOST GAUSGE ALL IN ONE, ADDED GEAR DRIVE GREAT HELP WITH STARTING TIME DOESN'T JUMP AROUND ANY MORE, INTERCOOLER 3" INLET AND OUTLET COOLER 12x24x4, ALSO ADDED MANDEL BENT CROSS OVER, HAD TRUCK REPAINTED AND OPUT ON ALUM FLAT BED