Thread: Anyone rebuild a Duramax yet?

Question Anyone rebuild a Duramax yet?

A question came up yesterday about the rebuild cost for the Duramax. I didn't have an answer cuz I haven't heard of anyone with a Duramax needing a complete rebuild (other than one damaged due to big power).

I called Eric Merchant, who runs his own business that focuses on the Duramax. He said he hadn't rebuilt one yet either (due to high miles and normal driving). He's done lots of repairs and rebuilds, but all for the performance market. Eric estimated a complete rebuild cost for a factory spec Duramax to be in the $7500 region.

The cylinder walls in these engines are inductive hardened at the factory, which should delay cylinder taper, but I don't know how long one of these engines will last when driven the way GM intended before the onset of excessive blowby, oil use, low oil pressure, etc.

Has anyone here had a high-mile Duramax rebuilt (other than the performance crowd).

Jim

No rebuilds done here. Seen a few with over 300k miles on them and still going. Last figure I saw on a GOODWRENCH engine was 6800 dollars and that was a REMANUFACTURED engine. It was reaman for GM, but man they were/ are really sloppy with the sealant.