Thread: 01-04 dmax/allison tranny...good or not?

Default 01-04 dmax/allison tranny...good or not?

I currently have two 6.5's, one on it last leg I think, and am debating on going to either a 6.0 liter gas or getting into a (due to budget) a 01-04 dmax C/C 4x4 with an auto. I've learned here that regardless what year, it will have a LB7 engine. Almost half the people I've talked to with these trucks tell me they are not happy with either fuel mileage, reliability or have had other problems and would consider going back to gas.

Now I realize there are alot of variables such as how the vehicle was looked after, mileage, ect, but that aside, just looking for opinions as to whether its a good motor or not and if there are issues with the allison tranny to, is it expensive to repair if there are? Any comments are greatly appreciated, thanks.
    95 chev reg/cab 2x4 6.5td/auto
    94 chev crewcab 4x4 6.5td/5spd
    87 nissan kingcab 2.5 diesel/5spd

bought my 01 in 03 w 60,000 miles. started pulling my trailer(7000#) for work 5 days a week at 70k. currently the truck has 230k on it and its still pulling every day,and believe me i'm not easy on this truck. problems i've had w this truck are as follows at 110k a set of injectors covered by gm. one waterpump, one alt., a glowplug controller, 2 serp. belt tensioners,1 idler pulley,a fuel press. regulator covered by gm., and just put a transfer in it. if u ask me thats not to bad for what i do w my truck.i know of others here that have also had good luck. the lb7's are the best on fuel if u can keep your foot out of it, i cant. hope this helps u
    #1 01 dmax xcab 251000 miles and climbing
    #2 06 dmax crew cab 66000 miles 2009 polaris dragon 800sp 89 suzuki 500 quadracer

I bought a 2001 GMC 2500HD with the Duramax/Allison in December 2000 (nearly 8 years ago). The truck has not been to the dealer for a single problem yet. It has 72,000 miles on the ODO. Had it on the dyno yesterday and did a number of trailer towing tests. It's a great truck!

Mark Rinker would be able to give you the maintenance history for a variety of Duramax diesels he uses in his freight/towing business... He's got a lot of miles in em...

Jim

Thumbs up 01-04 dmax/allison tranny...good or not?

I have a 2001 Chevy D/A i bought new. Other than an a/c relay hat was replaced before 1000 miles, it has not been to the shop other than for scheduled items. I love this truck. I have not found anything I like better. If I could change one thing it would be the color.
    2001 Chevy,Onyx Black Exterior/Graphite Interior,4X4, Ext.Cab, Short Bed, D/A, Weathertech Bug Shield, Ridgerunner Fiberglass Running Boards, Linex Bed Liner