Thread: Need harness to install 6.5TD/MFI in gasser?

I totalled my`95 so I`m in the process of swapping my"still fresh"PeninsularMFI into my`92.I plan to use the`92 6.5TD in a`72.Both of these`90s diesels have manual trans.Can`t I just run power to the I/P and do a manual G-plug switch?Or should I use the harness from a diesel?I`ll need to run guages,too.I have an`86 Suburban 6.2 parts vehicle.I`m thinking I`d use that harness rather than the`95.It should be a simpler harness,more compatable for the`72.And,the`95 has all the EFI circuits I won`t need.Any swappers out there?I`m week in the electrical dept.I also plan to use a 4L80E in place of the TH350.I just use a "stand-alone"computer for that.
    aka:Tim

`91 V2500 Scottsdale Suburban:6.2 4L80E 4"Lift 35s
    `92 K3500 SLE SRW:Peninsular6.5TD Peninsular 5spd
    `72 K20 CustomDeluxe Highlander CustomCamper
    `72 K20 CheyenneSuper CustomCamper
    `72 K2500 SierraGrande
    `71 K10 CustomDeluxe 6' Fleetside

john8662 Guest

CK,

I'm also considering a similar project someday. For the 72 I think using most of the wirning from the 86 burb, mainly for the glow plug fusable leads and wiring to the IP. The 72 looks to be a very simple vehicle, so you're going to be adapting just a few wires, not a ton.

For the 4L80E, you will probably be best going with an aftermarket controller. Member Bobbie Martin probably has some ideas on how to get the 4L80E to work MFI.

Hey, do you happen to know where I can get a straight 68-72 blazer for a really reasonable price (not running)?

Hey John,no I don`t,off hand.You`re in the right part of the country to find one.Check on the 67-72 truck sight,Blazer board.I`ve seen you on there,right?Thanks for your input on the harness Q.
    aka:Tim

`91 V2500 Scottsdale Suburban:6.2 4L80E 4"Lift 35s
    `92 K3500 SLE SRW:Peninsular6.5TD Peninsular 5spd
    `72 K20 CustomDeluxe Highlander CustomCamper
    `72 K20 CheyenneSuper CustomCamper
    `72 K2500 SierraGrande
    `71 K10 CustomDeluxe 6' Fleetside

john8662 Guest

Yeah, I've been alley looking (see whats hiding in the back yard) for a blazer, I have found 2, but guess what, don't wanna part with em. I've always wanted a Blazer, really wanted a 6.2L blazer, but I can't find one (well in good enough shape). So I figure make a 68-72 Blazer diesel, and have the best of both worlds, one of the best body styles ever, and my favorite engine!

I guess I haven't heard of the site you're talking about, but would you mind posting a link to it, I might be interested in checking it out!

You could use an existing Delphi T32 transmission controller to operate the 4L80 trans. I swapped a mechanical engine into a 95 gas suburban and just used the delphi box to run the trans. This would be a similiar controller to those used on a early 90's 6.2 c/k truck, or GM P-chassis, or military HMMWV. There are a few different cal's out there for the box, some using the crank sensor for engine RPM, and some using the oil pump drive. Anyhow, if you are interested I can dig up some part numbers for what I used.

mklein , I'd be interested in some part numbers . I have a 95 G30 NA 6.5 4L80E TCM 16196390 and ordered a prom 16244675 . How do those numbers stack up ?

Your parts look like they are exactly what the factory used for 1994-1995 G Vans with L57's. The TCM part number has been the same on everything I have seen so far, it is just the PROM that is different.

mklein , thanks for your reply . The early TCMs had a different number than the later . Do you have any info on the PROMS ? The one I ordered was letter matched to the TCM but there was no description on rear axle ratio , etc . TIA