Thread: Got a huge estimate from a mechanic.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Got a huge estimate from a mechanic.

I brought the truck in for an oil change and diagnose a coolant loss + overheat.

Original thread here: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=45049

Among the many things they found on top of the 'head gasket failure' (for which they quoted $8k:
    1. Inner / Outer tie rods w CA$1,050.00
    2. Upper / Lower Ball joints CA$1,480.00
    3. Front Brake Pads / Calipers / Rotors CA$1,150.00
    4. Stearing Gearbox leaking + has play CA$795.00
    5. Pitman arm worn CA$458.00

And a few other things ...

I just did the calipers / brake pads / rotors. I knew going in that those were almost done (and they were... I was about to hit the anti wear tabs any minute). But I was quite surprised to find no play in the steering / suspension that I could tell... Like at all. The tie rods seemed fine, No play that I could sense. if I wiggled one wheel even barely moving it the other wheel seemed to move with it... Did that on both sides, I couldn't detect any play whatsoever, side to side or up and down...

I'm also not an expert either though. Anything I could be missing? My understanding is that these parts need replacing when they show signs of wear. IE when there's play in the system or if their damaged.

Also, if the shop was really trying to make allot of money off of me... What's the chances the head gaskets are ok too? Seems unlikely to me. I've pressure tested before and aren't losing fluid except under load it seems... How do I confirm?

Thanks
    GMC Sierra 2500hd 2004.5 now with ARP studs

I can about guarantee the pitman and idler arms are shot. Jack the truck so that the RF wheel is off the ground but not the left. Try to steer the RF tire by grabbing at 3 and 9 oclock. Watch as the drag link rises and falls and the RF tire moves without moving the LF. You can also put a big pipe wrench on the drag link and rotate it.

We do pitman/idler supports on new OE arms typically.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    I can about guarantee the pitman and idler arms are shot. Jack the truck so that the RF wheel is off the ground but not the left. Try to steer the RF tire by grabbing at 3 and 9 oclock. Watch as the drag link rises and falls and the RF tire moves without moving the LF. You can also put a big pipe wrench on the drag link and rotate it.

We do pitman/idler supports on new OE arms typically.
    Thanks!, I'll check that out out in the next little while. I hadn't heard of pitman / ldler supports before. I'll check that out too.

I'm starting to seriously consider installing a lift in my garage... I think it would pay for itself this year...

Checked it all out, the pitman arm has a surprisingly small amount of play. Seems ok for now.

Idler arm was shot and is getting a replacement. I ordered a Moog idler arm + the idler arm bracket with the grease extension.

All the ball joints were in various stages of decay.

Driver side inner / outer tie rods were getting ready to die, passenger side tie rods were almost done.

Shocks are still factory... Those are getting done too.

So far I've done everything on the driver side.

Going to start on the passenger side next weekend.

On the bright side I discovered my next door neighbor is a retired heavy duty mechanic (spent 30 years keeping logging camps in operation) and it's been really helpful having someone who knows there stuff right next door.

I'm going to do all but the pitman / steering gear now, I'm going to do the steering gear / pitman in the fall and will probably spring for the idler / pitman brace. I bought all moog components. I assume their fine with the brace? I see Kennedy said: "OE components" but not sure if that was a hard statement or just a suggestion. I'll probably pull the steering gear right out and check it on a bench + replace the pressure lines when I do it.

The OE stuff tends to be as good or better and the OE idler comes as a complete assembly.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    The OE stuff tends to be as good or better and the OE idler comes as a complete assembly.
    oops, when I do the pitman side is that an OE thing too? Moog on the idler side, OE on the pitman side + support brackets.

Thanks!