Thread: 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Default 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Hello Diesel Groopies
    I am new to the site and need a little help. I recently rebuilt my 6.5 out of my 1996 GMC. I put a lot of time and money in this truck. My problem is that I took it to a mechanic to have him prime the fuel to get it started. That work is done but my problem is he could not time it. His scanner was not matching up with the degrees on the injection pump. If anyone could shed some light in the hole that I am in it would be greatly appreciated.

Ps everything is set. The timing gear is lined up correctly and it was at TDC. It seems the that the computer is not matching up with actual pump.

There is a lot of info on this site regarding timing of the 6.5. The one thing that I ran into was that the engine has to be up to I believe 185 degrees before the timing will take. I also remember that I had to sometimes increase the engine speed to get the setting where I needed it. Again I would suggest that you do a search on this site for timing of the 6.5 and you will get some great information.
    1995 Chev 4X4 1500 Suburban 6.5 TD,Phazer Gear Kit from JK, High Capacity Water Pump Kit from JK. Special Calibration fan clutch W/8 blade fan from JK
    1995 Chev 4X4 2500 Suburban 6.5 TD>>SOL-D (parts car)
    1999 Chev 4X4 2500 Suburban 454 "Gas Hog" with Hiniker C-Plow

Your injection timing is probably way too slow. Advance the timing a couple of degrees at a time (about a millimeter travel at the pump flange) and keep trying to start. If the air isn't completely bled out of the system, first bleed the filter by opening the bleed valve on top of the filter and turning the key to run. Once fuel is coming out of the bleed valve, you may need to crack the nuts on the fuel lines at the injectors to bleed air from the lines. However, this usually isn't necessary once the filter housing is full. Keep cranking in short bursts (don't burn up your starter) until you see smoke coming out the exhaust. Then keep advancing timing a couple degrees at a time until it will start.

As said before, it has to warm up to operating temperature before TDC offset can be learned.