Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Conversion Possibilities

Oops

I should have read MorePowers posting closer before commenting.

Upon rereading, I see where he said, the 10 1/2 inch FF is VIRTUALLY as strong as the AAM 1150 is.

In my years of drag racing, Fords, the only part of the driveline I never was able to destroy or damage was the 9 inch differential. Ford has the third bearing for additional support located at the rear of the pinion. Saw many of my Chevy racing friends destroy their differential gears which were the two bearing design. That always made me think the three bearing design to be stronger. Perhaps metalurgy and design has improved

High torque diesels sure require a different approach than gassers.
    95 GMC C2500, 449,000 miles, 4L80E w/ 4.11, 4 inch exhaust, gauges, OPS relay mod, Cold start & Fast Idle controls, 18-1, PMD cooler, coolant updates, cam gear drive, Chinese HX35W clone., Kennedy Max Effort chip

OK, third bearing I can swallow. I was having problems with one in front and one behind. Anyone have a picture of the 10.5 pinion housing?

(Actually, I have a whole axle sitting on the floor in the other room; guess I should pull the cover and look for myself...)

Back in the early '80's I used to race SAAB turbos. The transaxle had an aluminum pinion housing. The bearing closest to the gear was cantelevered away from the case. We were developing enough torque to break the housings with great regularity. Once the pinion moved, the whole transaxle blew apart....

Solution was a custom machined $teel pinion hou$ing.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510