Thread: Parts list for 2005 LLY head gaskets replacement

Default Parts list for 2005 LLY head gaskets replacement

I know there's so much more than head gaskets that get replaced when the head gaskets get replaced...

It seems there's a tiny fracture in one of my head gaskets (the coolant system gets pressurized and sometimes spits fluid from the overflow). There's no mixing of oil/antifreeze so right now I'm in the "refill the coolant as needed" mode and it's more of a nuisance than anything else BUT I know that I'm staring at a rather large bill if when the gasket really lets go. I was under the impression there may be a kit available with everything one needs to correctly complete the job (gaskets, probably go with the C size just to be sure, new generation torque to yield head bolts, valve cover gaskets, and I have no idea what else. Neither does the parts guy at the stealer, but of course he can get me anything I ask for. The service department wants over $5K to do the job, soup to nuts. A trusted local indy shop can do it for about $3K. I'm thinking that I can put in 40 hours plus <$1K for parts and do it myself... IF I know what parts to replace. Shouldn't need any milling - the engine has never gotten hotter than 210 indicated, so I don't think anything shoud be less than flat; a quick hit with 600 grit paper on a flat piece of steel should make the mating surfaces love each other again.

Parts list? Then I'll save this thread for future reference unless a mod wants to make such parts list a sticky. Maybe call it the Parts List thread...

This should pretty much sum up one of our projects:

Pr head gaskets grade C
    Set ARP head studs
    pr thermostats
    lower valve cover gaskets (optional)
    tube ultra gray
    exhaust manifold gaskets (optional)
    8 glow plugs (recommended)
    Return tee set for injectors (depends if any of yours break when removing)
    Surface heads with super skim cut then jet steam wash (wouldn't do it any other way)
    Coolant

We keep pretty much all of this on hand.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!