TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2017 - TDP's 21st Anniversary
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > The Diesel Page Member Forums > Member's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Member's Forum The Diesel Page Member community forum. General discussion forum for topics not necessarily focused on diesels.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:17 AM
Missy Good Wench ( Moderator)

Default Santa Rosa Ca Fire

All our prayers go to the folks down in Santa Rosa Ca.

Horrible fire...

My Son In Law and his crew headed their way from Forest Grove, Ore a couple hours ago.

His crew was on conflag for 20 days straight here in Oregon this summer.

The fire season this year was just a nasty one for sure
Old 10-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Enthusiast

Right on, Missy. We've seen the news, and it's frightening, to say the least.
Our thoughts and prayers for anyone near that area.

Always loved California. Spent a lot of time there in the 80's, especially the S.F. area. But. Hated being above the second floor in any motel/hotel. Used to think a lot about the "Big One" and how anyone on the west side of the Bay might fare as to how in heck to get back on the east side. Boats, bridges, and highway space would sure be at a premium.

Just remembered: I had a rental K-car, driving into the south of S.F., when that one that got the BB park and some bridges hit. Was going through a "sweeper", into an under-pass, and the whole car danced sideways. I corrected, and asked my trip mate just how much his giant suitcase weighed. He made his excuses, and about 30 seconds later, KOIT came on the radio, and was asking something like: "Holy cow, did you guys feel that?" It was the only time that I ever felt a tremor in all the weeks I spent in Ca.

Think I'd rather be there in an earthquake than in a fire. Trouble is, a quake can start fires, too. Pity those poor folks out there. Some (too many) are losing it all.
30yrs at Big Blue - no career - 12 yrs as gunsmith - my only career - NRA Life - SASS member/Black Powder Only!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Arrow

We experienced a bad fire season this past summer here in Montana. Smoke hung in the valley for nearly two months - ruining summer and making it either uncomfortable to breath or being dangerous to breath by varying degrees.

I watched a local news broadcast during the peak of the fires, and I saw the FS actually starting fires.... I imagine were intended to be "back fires" or fires started to create a burnt out area designed to stop an approaching fire - only there was no approaching fire......

Instead, what they did was exponentially grow and prolong the fires. What the f? Now that the fires have been put out by nature (September rains - the FS only made it worse), we can see where the fires were as you drive down the valley. There are a multitude of burned areas all close by or within a mile of housing - while the vast National Forest standing behind this tragedy remains largely intact. Makes no sense.

My tin foil hat theory... The fires (almost all of them) were started by arsonists or were started by incompetent fire managers working for the FS.

I wonder now about northern CA... I also can't help wondering whether the ideological activists within/without the FS are trying to "add fuel to the fire" of the climate change hysteria. We had a typical summer this year - normal temperatures and rainfall - following an above normal snowpack winter.

The day before the weather changed and the rains began in September, I saw a corporate jet fly low and slow up the valley over the fires. The plane made a series of circles and passes over the fires. Within 30 minutes there were two bucket helicopters dropping water on the fires. I believed it was Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke in that plane. He had been on Fox news the day before talking about the Montana fires and getting his ass chewed. People here are pissed about losing their summer to incompetent fire suppression.

I flew back from AZ in early August. Seated next to me on the plane was a biologist who was heading to the fires in Montana. He works fires and assesses the impact on biology - I guess. Anyway, he went into a long recitation about how "fires suppression isn't natural and the let it burn policy should be the rule." I told him that I grew up during the sixties here in western Montana, and that the local economy was driven by logging and milling at that time. There was a strong incentive to prevent fires and stop those that started. We never-never lost a summer to fire smoke - not once from 1961 to 1999. Since logging was basically outlawed by the environmentalists, we have experienced a number of lost summers to fire smoke. It's not global warming...
Old 10-12-2017, 01:51 PM
Enthusiast

Back in the day when I was working the fires in Western Idaho, one of the tin foil hat conspiracies was the thought that a lot of the man caused forest fires were started by out of work loggers so they could get work both during the fire and after the fire doing the harvesting operations. There are a lot of reasons that was, and is still, a good possibility.

More power, we had a lot of your smoke down here in Teton Valley this summer. Here's hoping those fires started by the forest service will act as buffers between naturally burning forest fires and people's homes in the coming years and decades.

There's no point being a pessimist - it wouldn't work anyway.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:05 PM
Enthusiast

It just gets worse! Talk about terrorism. Those scenes on video, taken through windshields as folks try to drive out of the flames are surely terrifying. What a thing for any person, or animal, to have to go through.
30yrs at Big Blue - no career - 12 yrs as gunsmith - my only career - NRA Life - SASS member/Black Powder Only!
Old 10-13-2017, 04:19 PM
Enthusiast

Somewhere in my shoebox I've got a photo taken from the passenger seat of the water tender I was driving during the Green Knoll fire in JH back in 2000 or so. The pic is of a lodgepole pine going full Roman Candle next to us as we refilled pumpkins for the boys on the line.

Good times!

There's no point being a pessimist - it wouldn't work anyway.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
Back in the day when I was working the fires in Western Idaho, one of the tin foil hat conspiracies was the thought that a lot of the man caused forest fires were started by out of work loggers so they could get work both during the fire and after the fire doing the harvesting operations. There are a lot of reasons that was, and is still, a good possibility.

More power, we had a lot of your smoke down here in Teton Valley this summer. Here's hoping those fires started by the forest service will act as buffers between naturally burning forest fires and people's homes in the coming years and decades.
I heard the stories too, back in the day when logging was a thing, that some of the fires were started by loggers. As long as I've lived here (since 1961) I don't know of a single proven case. I do know of two proven cases where FS employees engaged in arson - one here in Missoula back in the 1990s (a desk jockey at a local FS office) and another in Colorado in the 2000s (a woman ranger whose job it was to check on campers). Both were convicted. Why they did it was never adequately explained. I could guess.

By the way... the environmentalists have so taken control of the National Forests that loggers can't even harvest the burned trees - at least not very many of the fire damaged trees. It's all just wasted.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:38 AM
Missy Good Wench ( Moderator)

Good news...

The local Strike team 3 was cut loose yesterday afternoon late and headed home.

They did a bivouac in Eugene Or. last night (Likely super tired and the run home is long) Going to bring em on in this morning.

As far as I know there were no injuries and other than wanting some undisturbed sleep are fine.

A picture posted last afternoon of the crew standing by their rigs.

Real proud of the guys, just wish more could have been done to help those in need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STRIKE TEAM 3.jpg (83.1 KB, 20 views)