Thread: C-30 Frt spring removal

Default C-30 Frt spring removal

Howdy men,
    Finally getting to rebuilding the frt end of my 83 C-30, and am a little concerned about the power of these frt springs. I've done a few passenger cars with the typical "J" style spring compressor thru the shock hole in the lower A-frame, and the jack under it. But my worries are how much stronger are the 1 ton springs with my passenger car compressor? The manual shows a special tool that looks like nothing more than a cradle under the lower A-frame shaft, along with the floor jack. But no spring compressor.
    Will it be safe enuff to put a chain thru the spring, and a floor jack under the lower A-frame, as I split the lower ball joint? Any advice is appreciated.
    Old habits, die hard.

Maybe everyone's on vacation. I'm sure someone here has done this. Or is there a thread dedicated to this topic? If so, I'll try and find it.
    Old habits, die hard.

I've done motorhome and 1 ton spring replacements, and I've always just used a floor jack under the lower A-arm, and then disconnected the ball joint. I've never used a spring compressor, and I've still got all my fingers!

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Thanx Casey, just curious if there's anything out of the ordinary that I should prep for. I was gunna use my OTC compressor thru the hole in the bottom of the A-frame, (If it'll fit), but maybe I'll just loop a chain around one coil of the spring to a suspension or frame member, and go for broke. hell, Columbus took a chance. Look what happened to him.
    Old habits, die hard.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by joeq View Post
    Thanx Casey, just curious if there's anything out of the ordinary that I should prep for. I was gunna use my OTC compressor thru the hole in the bottom of the A-frame, (If it'll fit), but maybe I'll just loop a chain around one coil of the spring to a suspension or frame member, and go for broke. hell, Columbus took a chance. Look what happened to him.
    As Casey said, they aren't complicated, and a floor jack should do it. However, I would chain it down, just in case.

Columbus is a bad example. He was a tyrant, who died a miserable death at a young age, never accomplishing the goal he set out to do, and the location of his remains are still unknown.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

OK guys, today's the day. Even tho I've got a lift, I think this job would be better performed on the floor, due to the floor jack for the springs. I don't have an extended jack for under the lift. Maybe someday that'll be on my Christmas list. I'll be interested in seeing how the A-frame bushings for this style are designed. Never had one apart. It appears they are a bolt-on, and not pressed in, so we'll see how that goes. I'll snap a few pics if anyone is interested. I'm hoping not to exceed 10-15 hrs, but will be doing some sandblasting, cleaning, and painting, so maybe 20 hrs total. (I hope not).
    Old habits, die hard.

Quote Originally Posted by joeq View Post
    OK guys, today's the day. Even tho I've got a lift, I think this job would be better performed on the floor, due to the floor jack for the springs. I don't have an extended jack for under the lift. Maybe someday that'll be on my Christmas list. I'll be interested in seeing how the A-frame bushings for this style are designed. Never had one apart. It appears they are a bolt-on, and not pressed in, so we'll see how that goes. I'll snap a few pics if anyone is interested. I'm hoping not to exceed 10-15 hrs, but will be doing some sandblasting, cleaning, and painting, so maybe 20 hrs total. (I hope not).
    You are correct, the bushings do thread in. However, they can still be a pain to replace. But I still think they're easier than pressed-in bushings that have been on for 275K miles or more..... (don't ask me how I know.)

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

So far, I've got 4 hrs invested, just getting the springs out. (Uneventfull fortunately). One freakin bracket for the RHS brake hose gave me fits, because the head is buried inside the A-frame with a bracket nub right up against it, so it wouldn't allow a wrench on the head. Invented some new 4 letter words for the brainless engineers. Gave up after almost a half hr, and put a cut-off wheel to it. We'll see what tomorrow brings, getting off the A-frames for overhaul.
    Old habits, die hard.