Thread: Draining water from fuel filter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Draining water from fuel filter

Should you only have to worry about draining water from the fuel filter if you get the message that there's water in the filter, or should you occasionally drain the filter to remove any water that could be there?
    '06 3/4 ton Chevy LT D/A CC SB 4X4 LBZ, Mag-Hitec rear diff cover and deep tranny pan, LineX spray-in over the rail bedliner, Leer camper shell with Browning Special Edition package, 27' Frontier Explorer TT, 3 kids and 1 wife

its not a bad Idea to open the water drain every few tank fulls of fuel , some owners have complained about there water in fuel light not working..... If you have water you need to deal with it ASAP and the winter time isnt when you want to have it happen!
    93 c-2500 6.5td,96 6.5td x cab,01 GMC lb7 Xcab ,2004 lly crew cab ,2006 lbz crew cab,honda CBR1100xx,2003 polaris prox 700 , 2001 31' holiday rambler 10K lbs house on wheels!

Do you have to prime the filter after you open the drain valve to let a little drain out?
    '06 3/4 ton Chevy LT D/A CC SB 4X4 LBZ, Mag-Hitec rear diff cover and deep tranny pan, LineX spray-in over the rail bedliner, Leer camper shell with Browning Special Edition package, 27' Frontier Explorer TT, 3 kids and 1 wife

yes, open the purge plug (its plastic go easy on it) drain off a little and close the drain hit the primer two or three times you should see fuel at the purge plug, close it hit the primer afew time until it gets firm. Honestly I do mine at oil changes and thats about it. so maybe ever 5000 mile.
    93 c-2500 6.5td,96 6.5td x cab,01 GMC lb7 Xcab ,2004 lly crew cab ,2006 lbz crew cab,honda CBR1100xx,2003 polaris prox 700 , 2001 31' holiday rambler 10K lbs house on wheels!

Arrow

You don't have to open the bleeder. Just open the drain and pump the primer. This will pressurize the filter with fresh fuel, and force fuel/water/sediment through the water drain. Opening the bleeder and gravity draining will not always force water and sediment out. It needs help. The hole it comes through is quite small, and can be plugged easily (not to mention very slow). Opening the bleeder to drain also allows air to enter, which can be an issue of its own.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default New to this...

Good morning
    I’m new at this but drove a long distance yesterday, fueled up at a new location, about three hours later, Water in Fuel light comes on. Can somebody please explain where to locate this drain? Thank you

Right here:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Thank you. Do I have to remove front passenger side tire and wheel well to access?

Welcome aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by slaflamme800 View Post
    Thank you. Do I have to remove front passenger side tire and wheel well to access?
    While removing the wheel and wheel well liner does offer the greatest access, it is not required. The drain valve is located at the bottom of the fuel filter (it's part of the WIF sensor, threaded into the bottom end of the filter element itself), and it has a nipple on the end of the valve that will accommodate a 1/4" I.D. hose to make draining less messy. It can be accessed from above or through the wheel well with the wheel turned completely to the left.

Problem is, it takes a considerable amount of water in the fuel system to trigger the WIF sensor and DIC indicator. The sensor is simply a float in the filter bottom, and takes a couple/few ounces of water that's separated out of the fuel to move it. Just "draining" water, or whatever, that's contaminated the fuel only drains the filter. It does not address the entirety of the contaminate in the fuel system. Whatever you drain from the filter should be captured in a clear glass jar/container. Let it sit, undisturbed, for an hour or three to see what settles out of the fuel. If significant contamination is noted, this should be addressed with the source of your fuel, and the system must be cleaned and fresh, uncontaminated fuel replaced. Your fuel system may be contaminated, and the remainder of the fuel system (the expensive parts) may be subject to substantial damage with continued running. Fortunately, in almost all cases, the potentially expensive repair process will be covered by the fuel supplier, or your comprehensive insurance, if you have it.

Also note, the WIF sensor is passive. Meaning, it is not actively monitored, and if removed, the PCM doesn't miss it. If it's connected, closing of the circuit triggers notice by the PCM and display of instrumentation. If you find no water/contamination in the fuel you drain, the WIF sensor or the connecting harness may be suspect. The wires entering the sensor aren't well protected and often break, and sometimes short circuit when they do. This may trigger the WIF indicator, when there may not be a condition of contaminated fuel.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Welcome to the Forum .. Removing the passenger side wheel and fender liner will give you the best access to the drain on the bottom of the fuel filter. That's the method I use when changing the filter. Once you get access you'll see a white plastic tab with hose barb fitting on the bottom of the filter. Loosen the tab to drain the filter.
    Bill
    03 2500HD D/A CC/SB/4WD,OilGuard, MegaFilter,LiftPump/PreFilter, Bilsteins,RetraxRollTop,J&J Boards,Coolant Filter,AlliDeepPan,FastIdle,AllHeadLightsOn,
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD

When changing the fuel filter I have never removed the tire. Just remote the right hand battery and there is plenty of room to get to the filter and WIF sensor. I have changed mine this way 20 times over the past 13 years. Much easier to remove one hold down bolt and 2 battery than all of the lug bolts and a tire not to mention jacking up and blocking the truck.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

I suggest draining into a clean container and see if you actually find any water. Most often there is none. It is also a bit difficult to get any drainage from the filter by simply opening the valve so either open the bleeder or try working the hand pump to pressurize the housing and push fuel out the drain.

If you do the battery removal make sure that you remove the negative cable from the second battery.

Wheel liner darts pull out much easier when lubed. I've become a huge fan of Tri Flow recently. The stuff seems to just draw right in on metals and seemed to do well on the plastic darts as well.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!