TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2018 - TDP's 22nd Anniversary
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > Other Diesel & Truck Related Forums > Diesel Conversions
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Diesel Conversions Convert gas to diesel, or convert to a 6.2/6.5/Duramax/Cummins/Navistar/Isuzu/Perkins/Detroit/or ... diesel engine. Go here to see completed projects, works in progress, share your conversion or ask the experts.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:42 AM

Default Detroit Diesel 638 engine problem, please help

I have a Hyndai HLD 150/Bering LD-15 truck with a Detroit 638 that has a strange problem. The engine starts and runs fine, but after few mieles when driving the engine develops a hesitation and looses power. It gets progressively worse to the point where u can only drive about 20mph after a few miles the engine shuts off, and it wonts to start, unless you whait few hours then the engine starts without a problem,
When the problem started you could drive normal for 100 miles normal, now its maybe 10 miles then its starts to losses power.
If u shut the engine off and let it sit a bit the problem goes away for next few miles.
We removed the fuel tank cleaned it and cleaned all the fuel lines and changed the filters and this did not help at all. We bought
a new injection pump and it alsow did not help. I'm not sure what to do next and was hoping someone may have seen this problem in the past and may have a solution.
Please Help. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:38 AM
Enthusiast

Hi
I would hook up a small tank of diesel as close to the lift pump as i could.Add a fuel pressure gauge and try it again.You could have a line were the inside is collapsing and plugging the fuel flow,either before the lift pump or after.
A fuel treasure gauge will help you see if the lift pump is making pressure when the truck stalls.
I have had a rubber line falling apart inside and the bits of rubber would pile up and form a plug either in a fitting or elbow and act just like what you are describing.Wasted a lot of time and filters finding that one.
90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews