Thread: Washer identity help

Default Washer identity help

So, its been 1&1/2 years ago since I tore the old engine down, and started on an Optimizer build. I'm assuming these washers go on a pully or pullies. I'm sure there will be more questions, but Im super close and super stoked. It may be elementary but I'm taking my time and trying not to make any mistakes.

Thanks Yall

http://s1097.photobucket.com/user/ch...byuhe.jpg.html

How many of the square washers ???

These are used in a couple places in the engine mounting
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    How many of the square washers ???

These are used in a couple places in the engine mounting
    I have many taken from three engine tear-downs, just can't remember where they all go.

Upper engine mount cup (3) on each side where they bolt to the block

I think they also used these on the lower stabilizer bars on 4x4 models where the bars attach to the aluminum lower bell housing cover.

I have never seen these on any pulleys.
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Arrow

I think Robyn is correct...

That's why it's important to bag-n-tag hardware as it is removed from an engine. I'll be re-assembling a 6.5 this winter. Some of the hardware had been marked... maybe 1/2 of it. It'll be a test of my memory for sure...

Jim

I have watched shops do engine R&R and the techs just toss everything in a 5 gallon bucket

Takes forever to sort through the mess and find all the right stuff when you need it at a particular phase of reassembly.

The "Tagem and bagem" scheme works so well.

My Dahooooley was down for 4 years while I built a fresh engine, followed by health issues, and when there was time to get it together the parts were all right there in a large box all neat in zip lock bags.

The part I hate is all the little plastic ties, clips and other goodies that make the factory job so neat, as these become unavailable after a very few years.

Tie wraps and some imagination do help.
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Back when I was hot bluing guns, every Spring, I had a system that was absolutely mandatory. Hundreds of parts, especially pins and iron-sight parts. The process (bluing) dictated careful logging and identifying of everything, since every steel part had to be polished and treated with a solution of "hold" and set aside till all were ready to be dipped.
    One year, I had hundreds of individual gun parts, scattered all over my shop, and hundreds of tags, bags, and pages of notes. With bluing done, I had a real field day of sifting through screen boxes and wire hangers, mating up parts to make whole firearms. A young customer saw me doing the pawing, one morning, and asked me how I knew what went where. I just told him that I had to have a good memory. Never did explain that each tiny part (hopefully) had a note on a line of paper, that matched up to a hash-mark, or number that was cut into a hidden surface, somewhere, on each part. In some cases, like a pin, it would be a note, with dimensions taken with mics, down to within a few ten-thousandths. Kid was impressed. I didn't disclose that there were the inevitable couple of parts that always had to be trial-fitted to several guns, before they found their proper home.
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

Another helpful tool is to have one of these on the workbench.

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...ack-69572.html

Larger pieces can be just be put in a bin with a label or a group of bags (with labels) can all be put together in a bin. Start at one end and put things in sequence so that you can just reverse the process for reassembly.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Quote Originally Posted by trbankii View Post
    Another helpful tool is to have one of these on the workbench.
    Larger pieces can be just be put in a bin with a label or a group of bags (with labels) can all be put together in a bin. Start at one end and put things in sequence so that you can just reverse the process for reassembly.
    But with my luck it would get tipped over real quick/
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

In today's world of electronic gadgets, I have found great favor with the camera in the iphone to get quick pics of things that are important or that may SAVIORBACON later

Small parts ID or wiring location/routing etc etc.

For long term layovers on some projects the memory is not enough anymore.

Usually have the 6+ in my pocket and so easy to snap piccy's
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Just for the record, I took 41 pictures before and during the tear down of the old engine. Turns out, I was about 41 pictures short. Go figure

Quote Originally Posted by a5150nut View Post
    But with my luck it would get tipped over real quick/
    Just screw it down so it is solid.

In today's world of electronic gadgets, I have found great favor with the camera in the iphone to get quick pics of things that are important or that may SAVIORBACON later
    Definitely. Pictures before something is removed and then of the removed pieces together and oriented properly. As many pictures as you need.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

I have watched shops do engine R&R and the techs just toss everything in a 5 gallon bucket

Takes forever to sort through the mess and find all the right stuff when you need it at a particular phase of reassembly.

The "Tagem and bagem" scheme works so well.

My Dahooooley was down for 4 years while I built a fresh engine, followed by health issues, and when there was time to get it together the parts were all right there in a large box all neat in zip lock bags.

The part I hate is all the little plastic ties, clips and other goodies that make the factory job so neat, as these become unavailable after a very few years.

Tie wraps and some imagination do help.
    Tag and bag is awesome. I did that when I tore mine down. VERY glad that I did.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

It certainly makes the reassemble bunches easier and everything ends up as it was (Well hopefully, if it was factory when you started)
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY