Thread: reduced engine power

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default reduced engine power

I've been having this problem with my '06 2500HD LBZ. Every once and a while when I'm accelerating the REP message pops up at the DIC and the computer takes over the gas pedal. If I try to floor it it'll only go about 25. But if I gently push the pedal with the tip of my toe it'll eventually climb up to 55. Message disappeares and everything returns to normal if I turn off the ignition for 30 seconds. Sometimes it may be ok for weeks and then do this twice in one day. I've noticed that the problem is almost always related to heavy acceleration and I think it's more common in wet conditions but can't say for sure. Load seems to have nothing to do with the problem.

The truck is stock except for the plow installation and a speed limiter. I've plugged in my scanner but it doesn't show any codes even with the REP message still in the DIC.

Any thoughts on this one...?

Ps. I know someone will ask about the speed limiter so I might as well explain it. I live in Finland and because of some BS EU law all trucks (10/2001 and newer) with GVWR over 7700 lbs have to be equipped with a speed limiter set to 55. It really sucks, I know...
    '06 2500HD CC/SB 4X4 LBZ, Blizzard straight blade

How is the speed limiter implemented? ECU reflash...or???
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Default the speed limiter

It's a separate device (Groeneveld) which to my understanding has been installed between the gas pedal assembly and the ECU. So when the speed gets near the limit it overrides the signal from the gas pedal and reduces the acceleration. I have to admit that the thought has crossed my mind that it could be the source of the problem but on the other hand the problem occures mostly at lower (25-45) speeds. I guess the only way to know for sure would be to unplug the limiter from the truck but I'm trying to avoid that since all the connections and wires have been sealed and of course unpluging the limiter is illegal...

I think the easiest (and the best) way to implement the limiter would have been the ECU reflash but since the limiter has to be "untamperable" (I don't know if thats even english but I hope you get the meaning) and anyone with the right programmer could easily erase the ECU speed limit the separate device is how it has to be done.
    '06 2500HD CC/SB 4X4 LBZ, Blizzard straight blade

Had the exact problem with my '06 LBZ. It came on gradually when passing a vehicle, etc. I had a predator with the 65hp program installed. The truck had about 11000 miles on it. I started reading posts on this site and read one concerning the fuel filter. I changed the fuel filter and that solved the problem.

FIN WOOZLE, In Texas if someone dared to do that not only would we unplug the limiter, but also the person from holding a position in the government.
    What happens if one needs to accelerate in order to get out of the way of another vehicle and cannot avoid the accident because they can't accelerate? That really is BS.
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.

In Minnesota, we'd pass a new law limiting commercial trucks to 55mph (like California) and let police enforcement issue lots of tickets. The government officials would vote themselves a new pay raise with the additional revenues, roads would continue to deteriorate. (Commercial drivers would continue to speed - just not around known police enforcement areas!)

Sounds like you could reflash your ECU and get around the speed limiter, or at least bump it up a few percent...
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Not sure what the code is that your seeing but it sounds like the motor goes into protect mode. Will it rev over 2000 rpm? if not when was the last time you replaced your fuel filter? more then 10000 miles or 200 engine hours?
    93 c-2500 6.5td,96 6.5td x cab,01 GMC lb7 Xcab ,2004 lly crew cab ,2006 lbz crew cab,honda CBR1100xx,2003 polaris prox 700 , 2001 31' holiday rambler 10K lbs house on wheels!

Default Freedom Liftkits and EFI Live

Your Laplander Lawmakers would crap if they saw 5000 AMERICAN TRUCKS Blow into town in a convoy with rifle racks and ropes hanging in the back windows!!! Norway has some very bad laws. I'm glad the USA still lets us make our trucks like we want. The government tried that 55 MPH law in the 70's and made the auto industry make junk underpowered smog smothered cars and trucks. This is a prime example of what Americans should watch out for again with stupid lawmakers solving our problems and all these lawmakers have DUI's, bankruptcies, back owed child support etc. Congress is full of losers if you read about each and everyone's profile. The revealing factor is they have to expose theirselves for all research on their personal info to the public to be in an elected office. We have our situations too but we at least can run our trucks like we want for the most part!!! Look at the flag today and remember this story from Norway. They aren't free.