Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2009 LMM regen frequency = every 357 miles

Last I heard, this Fall, from a neighbor who runs an OTR trucking company, and has an 010 tractor with (I think) a Cat in it, is, that he's spending several hundred bucks a month on urea, alone. Hates his 09 Ford diesel pickup, for the mileage he's getting, VS the power output, too. Sort of harks back to 73~, when we had the mfgs scrambling to meet emmisions, while halving, or worse, the mileage. How much less polution do you get, overall, when you make less smoke, but burn tripple the fuel?
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

Talking

I was talking to an Owner Operator that has a late model Peterbuilt double sleeper conventional tractor that he drives, I can't recall if he said he was running a Cat in that one or not. But he uses about $ 40 to $ 60 a month in urea. He was happy with it, he claims it get's decent milage and basically offsets the price of fuel. Cost about the same per mile as his non DPF trucks. He did say that one of his trucks has a Cat with twin turbo's in it and he has nothing but trouble with the turbo's and EGR system in that one. He said he will never buy another powerplant with twin tubo's.
    And you have to be careful where you park your rig because they will steal the Catalytic convertors off of them in a heartbeat. And I have a friend that had a brand new F450 Ford last year with the 6.4 in it. He said it only averaged 9 mpg empty and 5.2 to 7.5 while towing. He traded it in 7 months. He bought a new 2010 DMAX He just about doubled his average mpg and said it pulled better/stronger also. But he took a bath on the trade in$$$.
    But he's poorer but happy now. I do think it is dumb to burn more fuel to clean emmisions? Kinda like an oxy moron. Imagine what these new trucks could do power and mpg wise if they didn't have a cat or regen or urea and no egr system in them. And this is interesting, I don't know if it's true, but I heard someone say that Al Gore owns or has major holdings in a urea manufacturing company. Go figure!
    Last edited by cowboywildbill; 12-06-2010 at 18:07. Reason: Because I'm Old Stupid, can't spell and have FAT FINGURS

I misquoted . He said it works out to about the same cost per mile, maybe a little cheaper to operate the DPF with DEF system as it does to operate his other trucks with just the DPF. He prefered the non DEF DPF trucks, but that is a thing of the past.

A post above quoted $50 to have a dealer fill the urea tank, and someone wondered how much one could save by buying it after market and filling up the urea tank yourself.

Well, for you Canadians, I have news!!!! I checked on the cost of the DEF fluid at a local Canadian Tire store. It is $9.99 per US gallon. So, doing it yourself, the fluid refill for six US gallons will cost you $59.94 plus the sales taxes (in BC 12%) for a total of $67.13.

Sounds like the $50 from the dealer is a deal. I just wonder what will happen to the price of the fluid as time passes by. You ever see a decrease in price of a fluid we need for our vehicles???

If you can, please let me know.

Tor
    2004 GMC 2500HD SLE Duramax, Allison sb cc
    2016 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite

Cool

Typicaly from what I've heard a usual refill at 5,000 miles takes about 4 to 5 US gallons.
    So depending on how empty it is
    I guess it would be a good deal. It would be a great deal if you stretch your oil change out to 6,500 miles and then had them fill it.

[QUOTE=Mark Rinker;276328]I think its all part of a plan...a plot, if you will...to transform all of our vehicles into air scrubbers. Soon, we'll be driving to work, and improving our air quality.

That's been considered already believe it or not. A few years ago, a chemical company developed a coating that converts ozone to oxygen just by airflow over the coating. Volvo stepped forward and tested the coating on auto radiators figuring it'd be the perfect part to coat since there is not only sufficient airflow but guarenteed airflow. The coating was non toxic and added no cost to the part or car overall. The result? Idea was abandoned. The resulting ozone to oxygen recovery was considered miniscule and XX number of cars would not convert enough ozone to match the current production of ozone. Odd there was no mention in that old article on the impact of phasing in the coating to ALL radiators on water cooled engines.
    Seems that since the end user didn't have to pay for it, it wasn't a good idea.
    Speed costs money. How fast can you afford?