Thread: Finally out of warranty

Question Finally out of warranty

Hello to all,

I have a 2008 Chev. 3500 Express van - Duramax - Quidley 4x4 - 144,000
    Had engine light come on at approx 125,000 and had dealer advise that the egr valve is sticking. they advised it would be a $950 fix. Holding off right now. Had another check engine light come on at 135,000 and found to be #8 glow plug faulty and had it replaced. At 141,000 had another check engine light come on and found that #6 glow plug is faulty. Actually then was advised by dealer that the Duramax actually does not need to use the glow plugs in my climate. I am really to do some modifications. First question is can the glow plugs be deactivated from energizing? Second question - Can I install plate to block egr valve? Third question and last until I receive response - How can I get better fuel economy?

Regards, HPS

The glow plugs are a necessary feature to get any sort of respectable cold weather starting. The EGR can be blocked, but it will still set codes. In order to operate with a non functional EGR system and no codes you will need ECM programming changes. ECM programming can also be the best way to get better MPG.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Cool ecm program reccomendations?

Could you suggest any ecm tuners. Are you suggesting to just have all the rest of the glow plugs replaced? Thanks again for responding.

Regards, hps

On the ECM programming I have been doing my own thing for quite some time now. We can do everything in one without "band aids" like the generic stuff needs.

As for glow plugs it's a tough call, but I see guys doing one or two at a time until they have most or all of them replaced so doing all would not be a bad idea.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Default Finally out of warranty

"I have been doing my own thing for quite some time now"

Can you explain? Is it better to have a legit person program your ecm? or purchasing your own tuner? or buy another ecm and just swap out a programmed ecm's? how do I know what is the best program for my diving and fuel economy? I am not looking to spin the tires nor race with it. " Fuel economy and power for towing?

Again thank you for your input. By the way, I saw you bio, " How ironic" I was originally from just south of Baraboo on the Wisconsin River. "Sauk City" Been living south since early 60's.

Regards, HPS

HPS,
    Kennedy is one of the suppliers of parts/knowledge for our GM diesels.

He is my go to person for parts for my old 6.5.

Check his web site or just give him a call.

Big Green

Default Finally out of warranty

thanks, i will do that.

regards, hps

HPS, Kennedy is absolutely someone you can trust to get you the tune your vehicle needs. He's never steared me wrong. As far as the glow plugs, this has been the warmest winter on record so I look at it this way. The money you save on fuel with JK's tune can go for new glow plugs next fall. Fuel prices aren't going down anytime soon.
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.