Thread: Solar for Fiver

Default Solar for Fiver

Hi,

I just finished installing 300 watts of solar on the roof of my fifth wheel. Two Trojan T-105 batteries, a Trimetric controller/monitor setup, and a 1500 watt inverter completed the package.

Has anyone else gone solar, who can share experience or advice about life on the road with similar equipment?
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71
    Cedar Creek Silverback 33RL Fifth Wheel
    In The Past: '82 6.2 Jimmy Blazer, '93 6.5 GMC K-2500, '01 DMAX K-2500, '09 DMAX K-2500

Default Solar systems

You installed a very nice system and I am sure it will make camping quite enjoyable. Depending on your electric usage you may find it necessary to install additional batteries.

My family and I lived/traveled full time for 3.5 years in our 38' 5th wheel. We managed fine with a 45 watt $150.00 Harbor Freight solar system. A 300 watt system like you installed would have been soooo much better. Our small system kept the two deep cycle group 31 batteries charged (sun willing). If we needed 110 volts for AC or the microwave we had to fire up the quiet run generator. We often dry camped for more than a week without any issues. Water was most often the limiting factor when dry camping.

In our travels we met many people with solar systems and several with wind power & solar systems combined. I always asked how they liked the power systems and everyone liked them. There were some comments about watching the acid level in the batteries. Apparently some systems tend to over charge the batteries on sunny days.
    It sounds like you have a nicely equipped 5th wheel I am sure you will have a good time on the road.

Good luck
    John
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

Howdy
    I am not a travel trailer person, but I do enjoy reading the magazine "Trailer Life"
    Two issues ago they had a very good article about a similar system and what top expect from it.
    The only negatives that I heard were that if you typically like to park your rig in shady areas then it will not be as effective. Same applies to if you use it in areas with a more severe horizon angle and less hours of daylight.
    So what I got out of it is that you might need to be more intentional about your parking and travel practices.
    If I was going to do this, I would probably build in remote charging system. In other words, the ability to have a panel 20-30 feet from the trailer on a stand of some sort. Possibly a sun tracking stand.
    IMHO...solar is great if it works for your application cause the sun (hopefully) always comes up!
    Good luck!
    1996 Chvy 3500 CCDWLB 6.5 Heathed, NO vac, marine injctrs, ARB bumper, BIG pipe, 3" lift, bright lights, bypass oil system.
    1986 Chvy 6.2 M1009 blazer RAM AIR, Headers, Custom interior
    2001 Chinook RV, V10 gas
    1974 John Deere 1530 diesel tractor
    1993 John Deere 455 Diesel lawn mower
    1967 GTO, 1989 Honda Transalp
    2009 VW Jetta TDI, flashed and piped, 6speed, fun car!
    1998 6.5 suburban, stock, daughter's
    1993 6.5 3500 CCSWLB GM8, Heathed, big exhaust, gauges, Son's

1984 6.2 ATS turbo 3500, SCDWLB - Son's
    3 kids, 1 wife, 1 dog
    Gunsmith, Tactics Instructor, Fabricator USMC 87-93 Semper Fi!

Your system is very similar to mine.....the only comment I could make is adding another battery bank to your system. I added another pair of 6v batteries. My travel trailer had limited space so I bought a Marine Battery Box (holds both batteries) and bolted it down in the bed of my pick up. I picked up 4 Anderson 125 amp welding wire plugs and 10 ft. each of #2 black and red welding cable. I hooked this to a marine battery bank switch. I can use either bank or both and disconnect the system. I also have the hot side fused at the battery.

We have used this system for the last 4 years. We are on the road 4-5 months every summer and boondock extensively. I changed all the interior lights to LED which cut down our amp use. After I installed my system I ran all my appliances that I would run with the system to create a baseline for each one......I kept detailed records for the first year and now I don't worry about it. I just monitor the Trimetric and let the system work. We normally don't get below 70% discharge on the batteries (you probably know not to let them discharge below 50%) We are usually charged back up to 100% daily. After reading numerous sources I moved my charge end point up to 14.8 volts as most charge controllers are set two low to totally charge the batteries. I check my water once a week and rarely have to top it off as the controller does a great job of not boiling the batts.

Enyoy!
    Former 2003 Chev. D/A CC, Snug Top shell, Prodigy, 2003 Arctic Fox 30U, Alternator mt. fuel filter.....basically stock truck.

2012 Ram Megacab 3500, Snug Top, same trailer, stock truck

GO DUCKS

GOD BLESS THOSE WHO PROTECT AND SERVE!

I've been talking about putting solar into our off grid cabin for a few years now. Thinking I might finally do it this year. I can do anything I want with my little 2000w Honda but having lights on at any time would sure be nice...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

If you want to slide over to RV.net there is a lot of solar rv applications there.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Default Solar

This is what installed on my 5er,3 1/2 years ago we can run a Maytag washer Microwave, cleaner, desktop computer that uses more power than the Samsung RF197 fridge, TV very pleased with the investment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.

My system worked pretty well in intermittent use over the summer. I soon will be headed to Quartzsite, AZ for a couple of winter months. So I will be ablr to see how often I have to resort to my 2000 watt Honda generator.

Full report to follow next Spring...
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71
    In The Past: '82 6.2 Jimmy Blazer, '93 6.5 GMC K-2500, '01 DMAX K-2500, '09 DMAX K-2500

Default Being able to tilt solar panels makes a huge difference

Being able to tilt solar panels makes a huge difference Especially in winter months when sun is not directly over head. Tilting to 45 deg in winter can double or even triple current produced by panels.

Hi,

Yup on tilting -- no doubt it's a great feature. I'm in Quartzite now, and a wide variety of rigs have some kind of tilt mechanism.

But I am not into clambering around on the roof at my age. So I have to be content with flat mount -- which is working well enough to offset at least half my generator use. And each day the sun is a little higher in the sky. By March when I leave, I may have a even better outcome to report.

FWIW.
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71

Default A couple other suggestion

Nice basic system a couple of other suggestion I would make if you haven't already is to change out the converter charger on your trailer most of the stock ones are junk mine only charged at .5 amps which on a 200 amp hour battery is useless. I bought a iota 45 which charges at 45 amps and gradually tapers off as battery charges they have many different sizes. Also keep a close eye on your fluid in your batteries at least check every other week. I carry a gallon of distilled water and a turkey baster to fill mine.

Hi Silver,

You are so right.

Literally the first thing I did when I got the fiver was to eBay off the stock converter, and replace it with a higher capacity Progressive Dynamics.

For the batteries, mine are in a tight location, and in ventilated containers -- not easy to service visually. So I use a remote watering system that replaces the stock caps with specialized covers. These covers have a float arrangement, and are attached by hose to a squeeze pump, which in turn has a hose section you drop down into a distilled water container. Squeeze the bulb until it firms up -- meaning the floats on all cells are at the desired level, and all your cells are topped off. I've had this system for at least 15 years, and it was worth every penny.

FWIW.
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71

Hi,

Well I've been sitting here in Quartzite since early January, and the system is working well.

At first, the low sun and clouds required some generator use. But it's been sunnier, the days are getting longer, and the sun is higher. I could go without the genny completely now if Maureen's use of a hair dryer, iron, and sewing machine didn't go beyond the capability of my inverter.

I will say that a huge number of folks boondocking down here have either tiltable roof panels or portable panels they set up on the ground at an angle. I'm too old to be getting up on my fiver's roof every time I set up or take down camp, so I elected for fixed panels. But if I do this again, I might add 150 watts in the form of a ground based panel. That would give me a hedge against marginal weather.

One interesting side note. At first, I was sort of grumbling about the low output of the panels. Then one day looking at it from the outside, I realized that my batwing TV antenna had to be shadowing one of the panels. I cranked it down low enough to ensure no shadowing on the panel and voila!! output almost doubled.
    Last edited by richp; 02-07-2017 at 08:11.
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71