TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2017 - TDP's 21st Anniversary
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > Chevrolet & GMC 2500HD/3500 Light Trucks > 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain Discussion Forum for the 2001 & newer 2500HD/3500 Trucks, Transmissions & Drivetrain

Old 08-05-2017, 04:10 PM
Enthusiast

Default Ball joint failed

I was poking around on the driver side finishing attaching the power steering line supports when i saw this:

https://goo.gl/photos/vs1BbabamzQgm3gWA

Thank god I noticed...

I pressed in a new moog ball joint a couple months back... I'm pretty sure it looked fine a week ago.

The ball joint is destroyed, the boot is literally shredded and shoved halfway through the control arm.

The control arm splines are deformed.

I'm going to blame myself, I pushed it in, I have never done it before and likely screwed it up.

Just wondering if anyone has insight for me? I'm also now worried because I did the other 3 ball joints... They still seem solid, I went down and checked each of them. Also, by the time I got to them I was a little more competent at being able to line them up properly. Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks!

I've purchased a new MOOG control arm and will install it tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:56 PM
Enthusiast

Haven't installed the new arm yet...

I managed to tear something or stress a tendon or something of that nature. Waiting til that has stopped hurting for a day or two.

The other side still looks good.

https://goo.gl/photos/PqJotuLyvQvnTFLP7

Once I do the new control arm I'll take it for an alignment and then give it a good road test and re-inspect.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast

New control arm installed.

The hardest bit was getting the bolts loose. I soaked them in honey goo + liquid wrench every night for a few days... And then after jacking up the control arm I got my small impact on the bolt and just zipped it back and forth for a few minutes (5 seconds tighten then 5 seconds loosen... Wait... Repeat).

Both bolts were loose in about 5 minutes. Last time I fought with these it took an hour and didn't get much done.

Those newer little electric impacts are awesome.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:58 PM
Enthusiast

Does the steering feel any tighter?

There's no point being a pessimist - it wouldn't work anyway.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
Does the steering feel any tighter?
The truck is down to almost new again. The steering has maybe 1/2 an inch of play in it. probably less, it's not as tight as my B250, but it's not that far off.

I'm going to install the cognito kit this weekend if my arm co-operates.

My next project is fixing the body rust. I took the wheel well / mud flap off.

I'm pretty disgusted by the rust protection on these trucks. The fender flares and wheel well are poorly isolated. The whole back of the wheel well was loaded with rust and crap. You can't see it til you take the fender flare off.

If the fender flare wasn't there I don't think there'd be rust... IE I think the fender flare catches the water and crap and keeps it there.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Arrow

In looking through my 2001 GM service manuals I noticed that it does not include ball joint replacement info for the upper control arms, though it does contain R&R info for the control arms and ball joint replacement info for the lower ball joints.

Does this mean the ball joints used on the upper control arms are not replaceable?
Old 08-23-2017, 08:32 AM
Enthusiast

Just curious what brand upper control arm you used? I did the front of my 2003 a few years ago using "NAPA Premium" parts throughout (about 150K on factory parts). This spring, with only about 50K on them, the driver side had completely failed. Replaced it, took it for alignment, and the passenger side is beginning to fail. I found this online: http://www.rockauto.com/info/Moog/MO...etin_27015.pdf Sure enough, pulled the failed one apart and there's plastic in it. I'm probably going to re-replace both sides with Moog parts before winter and have it aligned again.

Bob
tufcj
Old 08-23-2017, 08:07 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Power View Post
In looking through my 2001 GM service manuals I noticed that it does not include ball joint replacement info for the upper control arms, though it does contain R&R info for the control arms and ball joint replacement info for the lower ball joints.

Does this mean the ball joints used on the upper control arms are not replaceable?
Interesting, I purchased a rockauto moog upper ball joint. http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....270&cc=1432943

Maybe the control arm isn't intended to have a new ball joint pressed in. At this point I'm considering just pre-emptively replacing the passenger side upper control arm. I'd be out $50 but that's a bargain compared to the worst case scenario.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:08 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufcj View Post
Just curious what brand upper control arm you used? I did the front of my 2003 a few years ago using "NAPA Premium" parts throughout (about 150K on factory parts). This spring, with only about 50K on them, the driver side had completely failed. Replaced it, took it for alignment, and the passenger side is beginning to fail. I found this online: http://www.rockauto.com/info/Moog/MO...etin_27015.pdf Sure enough, pulled the failed one apart and there's plastic in it. I'm probably going to re-replace both sides with Moog parts before winter and have it aligned again.

Bob
tufcj

See post below, I re-used the existing control arm with this ball joint http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....270&cc=1432943
Old 08-24-2017, 07:51 AM
Moderator-Towing Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Power View Post

I'm not sure about the newer models, but on my GMT400, the upper ball joint is riveted into place, and GM intended for the whole upper control arm to be replaced as a complete unit. The aftermarket came out with ball joint replacements where you have to cut the rivets off, and then bolt the new joint in place.

Casey
1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, NP241, 4L80E, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's, Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, and TD-Max chip, Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler, vacuum pump deleted, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake, '97 air box, dual t/stats, Racor fuel filter, 320K miles and running strong!