TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2017 - TDP's 21st Anniversary
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts


Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > The Diesel Page Member Forums > 6.5L Turbo Diesel
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

6.5L Turbo Diesel 1992-00 6.5TD - Discussion forum for the 6.5L engine.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-05-2017, 06:20 PM
Jan Jan is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Kristiansand
Posts: 7
Default Oil filter reloacation

Can somebody recommand a good quality oil filter relocation kit? After having issues getting filter off I`m getting tired of this. I did a search here but it did not reveil much on what to use and ther`s a lot on the net.

Still I don`t really feel the need to get the amsoil dualfilter bypass. Im okay doing more freqent oil changes. But relocating filter to frame or front of truck would work fine and most likely use standard oil filter.
__________________
98 6,5TD Suburban 1500 4x4, 3" exhaust
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-05-2017, 06:34 PM
a5150nut's Avatar
a5150nut a5150nut is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Knoxville,Tennessee
Posts: 2,111
Default

Jan,

If you want a good filter but not the Amsoil you might want to look at Donaldson filters. Might have to find a truck parts supply to find them. Great filters and work very well.
__________________
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
-Patrick Henry


A5150nut
2006 K3500 D/A
94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-07-2017, 01:39 PM
Nessmuk Nessmuk is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Buskirk, NY, US of A
Posts: 12
Default

I do not have a relocation kit, but have found a sandwich adapter for an oil cooler. Could you do that and put an empty filter with a good sized magnet in it in place of the original?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-09-2017, 12:35 PM
Jan Jan is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Kristiansand
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5150nut View Post
Jan,

If you want a good filter but not the Amsoil you might want to look at Donaldson filters. Might have to find a truck parts supply to find them. Great filters and work very well.
Filters should be no problem to get my hands on. Its more of a reliable oil filter relocation kit since the front axle is in the way. I need something that can last and not break down cus of cheap ebay quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessmuk View Post
I do not have a relocation kit, but have found a sandwich adapter for an oil cooler. Could you do that and put an empty filter with a good sized magnet in it in place of the original?
Not quite sure what you mean but I do not like that idea..
__________________
98 6,5TD Suburban 1500 4x4, 3" exhaust
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-09-2017, 04:24 PM
trbankii's Avatar
trbankii trbankii is online now
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: South Central Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 2,419
Default

Every time I change the oil on either the K1500 or the K2500 I swear Iím going to do a oil filter relocation before the next oil change. After a few days I find more important things that require my attention - until the next time Iím laying there swearing at GM engineers once againÖ
__________________
í94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E Yukon SLE 214K
í93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 183K
í85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
Diesel Page Member #2423
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-09-2017, 04:28 PM
Dvldog8793 Dvldog8793 is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Grand Rapids MN 55744
Posts: 1,622
Default

Howdy
I have an amsoil kit. Quality is great. I have removed and reinstalled on two different trucks and engines. Even if you dont think you need the bypass filter, it doesnt hurt anything. I know this kit is expensive, but IMHO it's worth it.
It also gives you the ability to add and extra 2 quarts of oil by using the bypass filter and a large regular filter.

I also know that JEGS and Summit racing have kits and adapters and other stuff for doing this as it is popular with racing.

Good luck!
__________________
1996 Chvy 3500 CCDWLB 6.5 Heathed, NO vac, marine injctrs, ARB bumper, BIG pipe, 3" lift, bright lights, bypass oil system.
1986 Chvy 6.2 M1009 blazer RAM AIR, Headers, Custom interior
2001 Chinook RV, V10 gas
1974 John Deere 1530 diesel tractor
1993 John Deere 455 Diesel lawn mower
1967 GTO, 1989 Honda Transalp
2009 VW Jetta TDI, flashed and piped, 6speed, fun car!
1998 6.5 suburban, stock, daughter's
1993 6.5 3500 CCSWLB GM8, Heathed, big exhaust, gauges, Son's

1984 6.2 ATS turbo 3500, SCDWLB - Son's
3 kids, 1 wife, 1 dog
Gunsmith, Tactics Instructor, Fabricator USMC 87-93 Semper Fi!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-10-2017, 06:15 AM
arveetek's Avatar
arveetek arveetek is offline
Moderator-Towing Forum
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Granby, Missouri, USA
Posts: 2,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbankii View Post
Every time I change the oil on either the K1500 or the K2500 I swear Iím going to do a oil filter relocation before the next oil change. After a few days I find more important things that require my attention - until the next time Iím laying there swearing at GM engineers once againÖ
Ditto. I've been saying this for nearly 12 years now!!

Casey
__________________
1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, NP241, 4L80E, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's, Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, and TD-Max chip, Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler, vacuum pump deleted, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake, '97 air box, dual t/stats, Racor fuel filter, 320K miles and running strong!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-12-2017, 09:14 PM
94bluehd 94bluehd is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 58
Default

I agree 100%. I used an Amsoil bypass kit under the hood on my '94 and it was awesome. Install the petcock too so you can grab a sample for testing (~$25) and you'll know when to replace filters, oil, air filter or get rid of it. Oil sample history will help resale a ton too for maintenance records.
__________________
1994 6.5 HO vin "F" X-cab, long box 4x4
Phazer set installed, 97+ cooling mods with 9-blade fan.Turbomaster, gauges, OPS mods with selenoid and lift pump indicator light 4" turbo back open exhaust, remote dual oil by-pass, Amsoil 15w-40, remote PMD #9, battery mods, 98+ airbox, 3.42s w/ NV 4500 converted to South Bend SM system with damper installed, 147K.

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-15-2017, 03:46 PM
Jan Jan is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Kristiansand
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvldog8793 View Post
Howdy
I have an amsoil kit. Quality is great. I have removed and reinstalled on two different trucks and engines. Even if you dont think you need the bypass filter, it doesnt hurt anything. I know this kit is expensive, but IMHO it's worth it.
It also gives you the ability to add and extra 2 quarts of oil by using the bypass filter and a large regular filter.

I also know that JEGS and Summit racing have kits and adapters and other stuff for doing this as it is popular with racing.

Good luck!
Thanks for feedback, gladly appreciated^^
Sadly cost and shipment with customs here just kills what it is worth for :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by arveetek View Post
Ditto. I've been saying this for nearly 12 years now!!


Casey
I need to do something then

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94bluehd View Post
I agree 100%. I used an Amsoil bypass kit under the hood on my '94 and it was awesome. Install the petcock too so you can grab a sample for testing (~$25) and you'll know when to replace filters, oil, air filter or get rid of it. Oil sample history will help resale a ton too for maintenance records.
Sample test will cost to much money for me to ship oversea. I usually do a oil and filter change at regular basis. Amsoil seems to have the best kit with quality compared to some of the cheaper ones. But not sure which to choose. I can`t renember size of oil filter.
__________________
98 6,5TD Suburban 1500 4x4, 3" exhaust
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM
Edahall's Avatar
Edahall Edahall is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 362
Default



I'm using one of these for my bypass filter. It uses toilet paper and filters the oil so well that it even filters out the black carbon.
__________________
1990 ĺ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
-Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
-6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
-Gear Vendors Overdrive
-Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
-NP205 iron transfer case
-3.73 gears

1982 Ĺ ton Chevy Suburban
-6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
-Stans headers
-Ported heads
-Timing gear
-4 speed automatic
-3.08 gears
-30 mpg on freeway
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1996-2017 by TheDieselPage.com - All Rights Reserved