TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2018 - TDP's 22nd Anniversary
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > The Diesel Page Member Forums > 6.2/6.5 Tech
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

6.2/6.5 Tech Tech forum containing the best tech for these engines. Please post in the related 6.2L & 6.5L forums. We'll transfer the best topic threads to this forum.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Arrow Valve Guide Liners

Just an FYI: when using valve guide liners as intended (to repair a worn valve guide), longtime engine rebuild shops that rebuild 6.2/6.5 diesels recommend cast iron liners. They say soot in the motor oil is too abrasive for brass liners.

Makes sense....

Jim
Old 09-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Missy Good Wench ( Moderator)

Phosphor bronze = Harder than a whores heart. good stuff.

The brass ones are indeed too soft

Missy
Old 10-31-2017, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Arrow

I visited a local engine rebuild shop this past August (bought a crankshaft from them). While there I talked to the shop manager about rebuilding 6.5L cylinder heads. One of the items we talked about was valve guide liners. This is the same shop that rebuilt our 6.5L TD 18:1 CR project engine.

I mentioned to the manager that cast-iron valve guide liners were being recommended for diesel engines because of the abrasive nature of soot. He quickly told me that they use bronze (probably the phosphor bronze variety), and that there hasn't been a problem with accelerated wear in these light-duty diesels. After considering that our 6.5L project ran to 300K+ miles, their advice is likely pretty good. However, he did say that they could do cast-iron valve guide liners - they're just quite a bit more expensive.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:28 PM
Moderator-Towing Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Power View Post

After considering that our 6.5L project ran to 300K+ miles, their advice is likely pretty good.

What's the latest on the 6.5L Power Project, anyway? I know it was sold in '06 with about 250K on the clock....

Thanks!

Casey
1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, NP241, 4L80E, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's, Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, and TD-Max chip, Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler, vacuum pump deleted, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake, '97 air box, dual t/stats, Racor fuel filter, 320K miles and running strong!
Old 11-14-2017, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by arveetek View Post
What's the latest on the 6.5L Power Project, anyway? I know it was sold in '06 with about 250K on the clock....

Thanks!

Casey
Last I heard quite some time ago, the engine had accumulated >300K miles. Lost track of it since.